Brand new DVD drive won't open, keeps flashing green

Skuttle

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Over the weekend I put together my first computer. The good, it actually turned on. The bad, I'm stuck with a bum fan at the back and the errors "media device failure" and "no bootable device". I can't solve either with the drive not working. I push the eject button but it only blinks green for a couple seconds. I've tried swapping the SATA cables, didn't work. Trying to manually eject the drive with a pin, I can't feel anything with the pin. I can see the hard drives and the optic drive from the BIOS, but beyond that I can't seem to do anything. What do I do?

My computer specs:
Case:
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case

PSU:
Xfx 650 Watt Xxx Edition Grey

Motherboard:
Intel Desktop Board DP67BGB3

CPU:
Intel i5 2500k

GPU:
ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Primary drive:
Intel 510 Series 120 GB SATA Version 3 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive

2ndary:
Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ

Blu-Ray drive:
ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Ram:
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

If you push a straightened paper clip directly into the small hole, you should be able to engage the door opening mechanism.

You can also pull the drive and try it in another system. If it doesn't work there, the drive is probably bad.

My first two choices for optical drives are Samsung and LG.

Skuttle

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
There was no CD in the drive. I swapped and fiddled with both SATA and the power cables again. Took several tries, but it seems like the power cable might be the culprit. Still not sure why it only blinked prettily at me initially if it can receive power, but at least the drive is working fine now. Many thanks.