Brand new e545, having issues with the wireless adapter

fsudabest

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I am having trouble with my edge e545 wireless adapter. The adapter works initially when I turn the laptop on, but will drop out unexpectedly. When I navigate to network adapters, the adapter would have a red X on it. I have tried to disable it and re-enable it to no avail. I end up having to restart the laptop.

Even with a previous installation (factory install) of Windows 7 Pro, this issue would happen. I have upgraded my hard drive, as well as using Windows 7 Ultimate now. The drivers I am using were found on the product page for the e545.

Help?

Solution
I had a similar problem with my Thinkpad T430s laptop 9 months ago, it probably has the same wireless card. The problem is, if the clock frequency is slightly off or there is any flaw in the analog manufacture of the wireless adapter, it will be flakey. I ended up exchanging my laptop for a new one - with my employer. If you don't have that option and your machine is out of warranty, it takes probably 10 mins to swap out the wireless card in your laptop, it's almost as easy to change as the RAM, see pages 68-69. You can get a new wireless card on Ebay, cheap.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM017842

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I had a similar problem with my Thinkpad T430s laptop 9 months ago, it probably has the same wireless card. The problem is, if the clock frequency is slightly off or there is any flaw in the analog manufacture of the wireless adapter, it will be flakey. I ended up exchanging my laptop for a new one - with my employer. If you don't have that option and your machine is out of warranty, it takes probably 10 mins to swap out the wireless card in your laptop, it's almost as easy to change as the RAM, see pages 68-69. You can get a new wireless card on Ebay, cheap.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM017842

Solution