brand new ethernet cable not working!!!

dro371

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014
So I recently built myself a custom gaming PC and have been using a USB network adapter card to connect to the internet. It's not as fast as what I could be getting from a wired connection (50mbps up and down) so I figured i'd buy an ethernet cable to receive the full benefit of my internet. I received this cable http://www.amazon.com/Cmple-CAT5E-ETHERNET-NETWORK-CABLE/dp/B004FD1DCW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top today from amazon and it's not working. I have it connected to the back of my router/modem (one unit because i have verizon) and have it running through the floor through my basement and up to my computer. The lights in the back of my computer (green in upper left and orange in upper right) light up but I cant connect. I tried everything and it wont work. PLEASE HELP!!

Solution
Lights flashing are a good thing, meaning you have both sync and data path so your cable should be working perfectly. Im concerned about the health of the network settings in windows. Are you showing that the cable is connected in windows? does the device manager look good?

open control panel > network and internet > under network and sharing select View network status and tasks
Then select change adapter settings (Left side)
Your connections are listed here, do they show connected on the local area connection? you need to disable any wireless connections you may be using (Or unplug it) then re-plug the cable so windows will use its ip settings and not the cached wireless

PCIBUSDRIVER

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Lights flashing are a good thing, meaning you have both sync and data path so your cable should be working perfectly. Im concerned about the health of the network settings in windows. Are you showing that the cable is connected in windows? does the device manager look good?

open control panel > network and internet > under network and sharing select View network status and tasks
Then select change adapter settings (Left side)
Your connections are listed here, do they show connected on the local area connection? you need to disable any wireless connections you may be using (Or unplug it) then re-plug the cable so windows will use its ip settings and not the cached wireless

Solution

dro371

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014

So I did all that and it still doesn't work. I unplugged it from the back, opened up the window you told me about, unplugged the network adapter card and replugged the cable but nothing showed up in that window. Before I unplugged it it showed the wireless adapter card thing in that window and it disappeared once i unplugged it. I also tried the cable with my macbook pro and its not working, however I used a different ethernet cable with it a couple days ago using the same port on my modem/router and that did work. But if the cable had a problem, why would the lights on the back of my PC go on? Is there something restricting my access to use ethernet? I already updated the BIOS my enabling something along the lines of "Onboard LAN ROM or something like that. I have a Biostar TA970 motherboard if that helps. If there are any drivers I need, would you please link them?