Brand new Gaming Laptop SUPER slow!

Swegallo63

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Hi I recently bought a new gaming laptop for casual gaming here and there along side some school work. I got it and booted it up, and it was super slow like just loading things on the taskbar took longer then it needs to. I checked task manager and the disk was constantly at 100% So I removed all the bloatware and the pre-installed anti viruses (That I know of) But still no change If you are wondering about the specs

• Intel Core i7-7700HQ
    GTX Geforce 1050
    1TB HDD (I believe 5400rpm)
    Windows 10 (Latest Update)
All drivers are installed and I've been through countless forums where the solutions haven't helped me once. I know that SSD's are a great option, and I do plan to buy one somewhere down the line. But for know what can I do to have my system run smoothly with out taking 10 years to load up the windows search!! Other things I've come across is sometimes when I type into google chrome or anything it takes a couple seconds for the text to show up as if its super laggy. Game wise it runs games fine! So how can I fix my PC! I did reset my PC back to factory settings but when it was done it still had all the bloat ware installed so I might try that again! Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Here's the results of my testing on identical box

Windows Boot Time:
7200 rpm HD = 21.6 seconds
7200 rpm SSHD = 16.5 seconds
SSD (Pro) = 15.6 seconds

Opening our largest CAD file:
7200 rpm HD = 38 seconds
7200 rpm SSHD = 38 seconds
SSD (Pro) = 38 seconds

i could prolly show some better numbers if i say copy pasted 500 GB of files but I try and use realistic scenarios and not things that never happen or might happen once in a machine's lifetime.

My suggestion for Chrome I'm gonna steal from the great comedian "Henny Youngman"

Henny: "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this"
Doc: "Then don't do that"

The simplest solution that I have come across is not using Chrome. I dunno why on some boxes it crawls and and some it's fine...
The SSD will let you boot to Windows 5 seconds faster ... after that, you'd be hard pressed to know it's there in every day usage. Everybody says that they do, but if ya take it out w/o telling them, and replace it with an SSHD, nobody notices.

What the mass market vendors do is they put 1 or 2 components on the ad, telling you "ooh look you have the fastest processor". That's kinda like buying a hoise and the hook is rated for 10,000 points ... doesn't hep ya much if the lift cable is rated at 250.

The 1050 is a bit slow for 1080p ... Witcher 3 manages just 30 fps and thats on the desktop version
5400 rpm, ouch
All things google are a problem speed wise
How much RAM ? Speed ?

By the time a manufacturer gets a lappie to a customer, they have probably spent $250 in soft costs ... on a $500 computer that gets you $250 worth of hardware.... on a $750 model for 50% more money, you get twice the value of hardware. If it's not meeting your needs, hopefully you can return it within the 30 day window.

Swegallo63

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

8GB DDR4 2400MHz
It meets my needs perfectly gaming wise, but everything else jsut takes time to load which is frustrating! Will an SSD Fix that? Because I don't care about game boot times as long as I can run windows 10 smoothly I'll be fine! I've got a kick ass Desktop I just need this laptop to run well.

Here's the results of my testing on identical box

Windows Boot Time:
7200 rpm HD = 21.6 seconds
7200 rpm SSHD = 16.5 seconds
SSD (Pro) = 15.6 seconds

Opening our largest CAD file:
7200 rpm HD = 38 seconds
7200 rpm SSHD = 38 seconds
SSD (Pro) = 38 seconds

i could prolly show some better numbers if i say copy pasted 500 GB of files but I try and use realistic scenarios and not things that never happen or might happen once in a machine's lifetime.

My suggestion for Chrome I'm gonna steal from the great comedian "Henny Youngman"

Henny: "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this"
Doc: "Then don't do that"

The simplest solution that I have come across is not using Chrome. I dunno why on some boxes it crawls and and some it's fine but i do find that every box i sat down to look at went away when i removed Chrome.

Oh one other thing... turn off Windows Update's bility to install hardware drivers, then reinstall all dr9ivers from lappie manufacturer web site.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/82137-drivers-turn-off-automatic-driver-installation.html

Solution