Brand new Gaming PC performance issues

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Okay, first of all, this is my very first desktop computer. I don't have much knowledge surrounding this kinda stuff, so bear with me. :p

I got a new Gaming PC.

Multiple issues here:

The case has no optical drive, but a disk came along with the motherboard, that disk possibly involves driver installation, which would be quite important; I don't know if I should get an external optical drive, or if it even matters.

I've installed the latest (and earlier) Nvidia drivers, with and without GeForce Experience.

It's a gaming PC, and as such I would think that it could run some games fairly well. I haven't had a chance to test any larger games yet, but the smaller games that shouldn't be difficult to run, this computer struggles with.

Most of the time, a game will run somewhere between 20-30. There will often be drops to 5-10, and occasional 50-60 for a couple of seconds. I feel like I'm missing something.

Specs:
GTX 1080 Ti
i7 8700k
16gb RAM
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4

So first of all, what kind of games are talking about and what is the resolution you are playing on? Full HD, WQHD or 4K?
You can get all the drivers from that CD also from the ASrock website: https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp
These drivers are all up to date while the drivers on the Disk might be older, so you better just download them instead of buying an external drive.

I guess that you downloaded the nvidia drivers from their website didnt you?

Hope you can answere my questions :)

First, check if you connected the display cable to the 1080ti and not to the mainboard.
Plus, if your system and windows are still completely new, you need to set everything (main proc and graphic card) to performance mode and not to energy saving. Do these from energy settings (control panel) and from nVidia control panel.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't had a chance to test many games. I tested on the original Binding of Isaac, which shouldn't be difficult to run. And #killallzombies, which is what I got the frame rate information from. :p I'm gonna test on Dark Souls 3 at various settings once it's installed.

But even the Binding of Isaac ran pretty terribly.

I'm playing on a temporary monitor currently, which I think may be part of the issue. It's a 768 monitor for some reason, being scaled to 1080, so I'm playing at 1080.

I followed that link, but once again, I feel like I'm missing something. I went to the "Latest Drivers Update" section, and used the download link on the first one for the motherboard I have, then things get interesting. I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm not smart. :p

And yeah, I downloaded them from the Nvidia website.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the reply. :p

I can't say I know how to do that. :p

I did set the main one to performance, and it didn't seem to help. I can't seem to find the option in the Nvidia control panel.

hmmm...my PC is not on english, so I will try to kinda translate it for you.
In nVidia control panel, just look for "3D settings management" (3D-Einstellungen verwalten) or something like that on the left side of the nVidia control panel window.
Then look for something like "energy management mode" (Energieverwaltungsmodus), set it to something like "max performance" (Maximale Leistung bevorzugen). You might need to scroll down to find that option.

Monitor cable to GPU is also a must. If you connect it to mainboard, you are using the iGPU in the I7 8700k which is weak.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

I'll check that. I can't check it currently, as I'm away from that computer for a few days.

And yeah, I'm just not sure how to find out which one the cable is connected to.

Thank you.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

Yeah, but it's connected to the outside, so I'm not sure how to tell if it's connected to the GPU or not.

I looked at something in the Windows settings area a couple of days ago, and it had some visual that I believe was telling me that it was displaying from the GPU, so I don't think that's the issue. But I don't know. :p

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

I installed everything that I could for the motherboard from the site, and that had no effect. Any other ideas?

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

My bad, I was looking in the wrong place. I found the option, and I switched it to performance, but now every game runs at a constant 5 fps. I changed it back to optimal power but that didn't do anything. So now nothing even slightly runs,

5 FPS? Something is really wrong in your PC.
hmmm...those things we gave you are only the standard stuffs and not really meant for a really problematic system.
Driver issue? Defective parts? OS errors? etc. etc.
Try to reset the BIOS and set everything all-over again then re-install Windows from scratch again then install all the correct drivers (using the driver disc would be recommended for now) then set the Windows setting from scratch again.

Nengalore

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016

Yeah. I don't know what's going on. I don't believe there are any defective parts; and the drivers and OS are all okay, as far as I can tell.