Brand new gaming pc unstable(kernel power error 41).

Deleuze88

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I assembled a new system just over a month ago. My specs are :

Intel Core i5 7600k with Coolermaster Hyper 212x cpu cooler
Evga Gtx 1060 6 gb
Asus Prime Z270-a mobo
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8gb
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" SATA ΙΙΙ
Corsair RMx Series 550X 80 Plus Gold
Nzxt 340s PC Case
I have also connected 4 fans. 2 from Corsair 120mm
High Airflow and 2 nzxt fans that were already installed in the case.

My problem is that since i connected (at 12/07)the two corsair fans (they are connected on the mobo, unlike the nzxt fans which are connected on the psu) my system became unstable. To clarify unstable ,it started restarting on its own which on the windows event log was coded as kernel power 41 critical error. This happens randomly. It may not happen for two days straight with the pc running smoothly and then happen three times the same day.
In addition to that sometimes it won't even activate when i press the boot button, still the mobo leds are on and usb devices as well when its not activated, and only start working after i turn the psu off and then back on .Other times it will activate but won't boot and restart. I tried disconnecting the fans but the same problems occured. Plus i can't see how the fans would cause such problems. I have read a lot of q&a concerning the kernel power 41 error but i didn't find any clear explanation to what the root of the problem is .
It's obvious that there are hardware malfunctions but is it the psu, the mobo or the hard drive (I have tested the ram and it appeared fine). Still i find it hard to believe that quality components such as this mobo and psu would prove defective. Anyway, what's your take on the situation?

Solution
Memory first 16 gig, will make a big difference, then a SSD.

Reason been, every time something needed is not in memory,
the drive is accessed to retrieve it.

Personally I think it's your PSU, your MB possible, but from the symptoms unlikely.

Has for your GPU, there is a shortage right now, you do know right ?
so if you send it back, you might have to wait a while to get another back.

Keep in touch, and let me know how things turn out.

Danny

Danny_112

Prominent
May 2, 2017
You have a weird problem, you need to narrow the possibilities,
any overclock, or changes in the bios ?.
If so, reload defaults.

At first glance it would seem to be hardware based.

I would start with the PSU, it can turn on, but won't supply the
necessary voltage / current .

These symptoms look a lot like bad caps, on the PSU, or MB.

Try unplugging anything you don't really need.

Keep Cpu + cooler and fan also your GPU !! , disconnect extra casing fans and LEAVE SIDE PANEL OPEN.

Disconnect drives , and retry any changes ?

If things got better, try re-plugging, 1 component at a time, until you find
the culprit.

Deleuze88

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Hello Danny_112,

i didn't manually overclock anything still the mobo automatically overclocked the cpu at 4.20 ghz, i don't know if that is actually overclocking though. The only changes i made at the bios was changing the xmp profile so my ram can run at 2400mhz and regulating fan profiles. Also concerning the voltages, looking at the HWmonitor everything seems completely fine and software-wise everything is currently up to date.
Yesterday i disconnected almost everything and rebuilded the pc to rule out any cable misconnection( i have tried changing power cords and the electrical socket where i connect them but to no avail). Afterwards, i activated it and left it on to see how it would fare, without connecting the extra case fans. I checked a few hours later and i was on sleep mode but when i tried to power it up it just didn't respond, which means that after pressing the case button, it indicated that it was on but nothing worked, except the mobo leds. I turned it off pressing the button and then it wouldn't turn back on whatever i did (turning the psu on and off, reconnecting it in another electrical socket etc.). It did turn on though on its own when i moved it. I also forgot to mention the first time that the pc sometimes turned off when i moved the case, but only sometimes.
I turned it back off, reconnected the case fans , changed the ram dimm slot from B2 to A1 to check its reaction. When i activated it again after 2-3 seconds it restarted, but is then working normally and recovered as it should from sleep mode after i left it idle for a few hours and went to sleep myself.I also restored the bios settings on default.Oh i need to mention, even though typically, that it doesn't matter what programs i run and what my use is when the restarts happen(gaming, internet etc).

Could the capacitors be connected to the fact that it sometimes restarts when moved? Is there any way to test the mobo?

It is SO confusing really.

Danny_112

Prominent
May 2, 2017
First, sleep mode is often problematic, don't use it.

Try moving your pc, does it react now ?

Make sure your plugin cards are well inserted . Your videocard for example,

If you see led's on the MB, when it won't boot, then you don't have a
ground problem, so this part is eliminated

In other words, if your 300% confident your assembly is good, cables etc...

Then I would get another psu, borrow or buy another one , if you decide to buy then buy EVGA they are rock solid, 650-750 w range
If it solves the problem, you can keep it, and send your Corsair for replacement,
and keep it for spare when you get it back, or return the EVGA and wait for the warranty exchange.

The same for the MB, if the psu isn't bad.....yeah I know it suck's.

And no, capacitors, don't react when you move anything, unless the solder or a trace on the board is "cracked"

A psu can power on but won't supply sufficient power, this also happens.
Symptoms: system will not boot, or will shutdown at any giving moment....
but will have some activity, "led's" are on, are not a guarantee that the psu is good.

I would start by not using sleep mode, and getting my hands on another psu.
If that fails, then the MB.

Could it be that the power switch on your case is defective ?,
mine was on a $200 case, I fixed it, by disassembling it, and re-soldering a couple of wires.
I'm on vacation this week, so i'll check back often, keep in touch.

Side notes: 8 gig of memory is not enough, 16 gig's, and Windows 10, will work very well with your configuration.

Gonna check back in a little while...

Danny

Deleuze88

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks a lot for your replies Danny!

I am positive that the cables are well connected and the plugin cards as well. I have checked again and again. Since yesterday the pc seems stable, though that is something that has happened before, and doesn't restart when i move it. I am leaning towards a psu problem as well and I think I am going to borrow one from a friend to test how the system will cope. Either that or I am going to RMA the psu, the mobo and the gpu(yes including the rest of the system's problems the gpu started coil whining) and get done with it.

I have also disabled sleep mode although it didn't cause any problems since the last time and I think that a case power switch malfunction is highly unlikely.
I'll let you know about any new developments the following days.

Concerning the side note, would you suggest buying another ram or an ssd first?

Danny_112

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Memory first 16 gig, will make a big difference, then a SSD.

Reason been, every time something needed is not in memory,
the drive is accessed to retrieve it.

Personally I think it's your PSU, your MB possible, but from the symptoms unlikely.

Has for your GPU, there is a shortage right now, you do know right ?
so if you send it back, you might have to wait a while to get another back.

Keep in touch, and let me know how things turn out.

Danny

Solution
Mar 8, 2019
Im having the same problem days now...i try everything..reading all posts...cleaning reconecting testing bla bla bla.nothing..and suddenly its working..at least for now..ill keep in touch