Question Brand new gpu crashing during game

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
I posted about this is the wireless networking section, but starting to think it's maybe graphics related.
Yesterday, I installed my brand new gigabytes 8gb rx 580 graphics card.
So far, it's worked fine either web browsing, or watching tv episodes.

However whenever I try and play my favourite game now (world of warships), it seems to be going wrong. The screen goes blank, sound goes silent through the pc, and the system needs rebooting. When it starts back up though, all networking is lost, and not only does my pc not see the WiFi networks, but it doesn't see any wireless adaptors installed on the system.

If I turn the pc off and leave for a bit, suddenly the WiFi is back.

Is this likely to be a gpu issue, maybe the card isn't quite working right?
Why would this be affecting the WiFi/networking adapter?
Any solutions? I literally have had it a day!

One thing to maybe note though is gpu-z says in the sensors section, that the fan speed is at 0%/0rpm, which implies they aren't working and the card could be over heating on games. Though not sure why that would affect the network issues? Argh!!

What are your full system specs, including make and model of power supply?

I would update your GPU drivers.
What are the clocks in GPU-Z?
What are your CPU and GPU temps during games? Hwmonitor (freeware) can monitor temps in games.

This sounds like your power supply may be shutting off when your GPU draws a lot of power in a game.

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Need complete system specs CPU, RAM, Mobo, Power Supply.

Cpu is an amd ryzen 5 2600x
Ram is 16gb corsair I believe
Mono is a msi x470 gaming carbon pro
Psu, can't remember the make (cooler master comes to mind) and not near my pc now, but is 1000w modular.
Previous cards have been 6 pin power cables, this is the first I think to use an 8 pin connector.

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
What are your full system specs, including make and model of power supply?

I would update your GPU drivers.
What are the clocks in GPU-Z?
What are your CPU and GPU temps during games? Hwmonitor (freeware) can monitor temps in games.

This sounds like your power supply may be shutting off when your GPU draws a lot of power in a game.

Gpu drivers are the latest from AMD as of 2 days ago..
Will have to get the clocks and temp info tomorrow.

I'd have thought a 1000w psu would have been able to handle it fine. And can't fathom why a you issue would knock out a network card temp.

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Well..tried getting details from HWmonitor, but screen went black/pc crashed before I noticed many specs..think temp on the gpu was up to 61c playing a game on medium settings, but thats all I noticed..

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
stick with 1 thread
Since installing my new graphics card on tuesday, it has a nasty habit now of 'crashing' of sorts when I attempt playing any games at either high setting, or with a lot going on on screen. When it does crash, upon rebooting, windows fails to see a network card or any networks, meaning I can't get back online until rebooting a 2nd time.
When I say crashing, the screen goes black, monitor says no input signal and goes into sleep/standby mode, and nothing rectifies the situation without pressing the reset button on the tower.

The graphics card is a Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 580 Gaming 8Gb and Im connecting via DVI cable.

With the 'features' of the card, there is no LED light on implying power supply is normal. However, the fan stop feature seems to work too well, as I can't recall hearing the fans spin up once since installing. Maybe that is the issue and they are not starting, so the gpu is overheating perhaps?
Ive tried a couple of games (world of warships, and wolfenstein old blood) and on high settings, the system crashes fairly quickly and almost every time. Bumping the settings down to medium level, they generally play ok most of the time, though I have still had a few crashes when theres a lot happening on screen.

Im undecided if its a gpu issue, or a power issue still..any thoughts? Have contacted a few repair shops near me but not getting any replies yet.

Ryzen 5 2600x cpu
MSI x470 carbon pro motherboard.
16gb DDR4 Ram.
3Tb of total hdd space
1000W psu (5-6 years old at least, if not longer)
Windows 10 pro

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Right, my PSU is a
Cooler Master 1000W RS-A00-ESBA

GPU is brand new
GPU temp seems to hover around 35c when not doing much, goes to about 50-60c when on games ive noticed (but no idea what final temp is when the system crashes.

Alas, I think im going to have to give up and take it into a computer shop to be seen too. They suggested disconnecting the extra hdd's and any unnecessary devices to see if it was the psu struggling. PC crashed within 20 seconds of test starting.
And to cap it all off, I plugged everything back in, literally just unplugged, and plugged back in, nothing removed or changed..and now the system will only see 2 of my 3 hdd's..and the one it happens to not be seeing, is the main system storage drive with all my files on!!! ARGH!!!!