brand new gpu doesn't work. fans spin. nothing on mother board in bios.

Aug 1, 2018
I just purchased a GTX 1060 6G and am already having trouble. I installed the card and booted my PC. the PC I was able to boot it up again normal. Then the next day after trying to boot up my PC the GPU fans start spinning really fast with no signal being received. I have tried resetting the PC several times, tried to reinstall the graphics card. nothing shows up on the motherboard because when i tried to install the drivers from nvida it said no nvida devices found. It worked on my other motherboard which died 2 weeks ago from unknown causes. my pc will boot when i plug in the graphics card it just wont show and the dvi cables dont do anything. my old motherboard that it worked on was a H310M-HDV asrock. my current is H310M-A ASUS. everything seems to be in working order. I DO NOT have a system to test the graphics card on so before anyone ask me to test the graphics card I can't, i do not have another computer. although i do have a laptop but it is an internal graphics card.

if someone could help it would be must appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I58600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: EVGA - BT 450W 80+
GPU: geforce GTX 1060 6gb
MOBO: ASUS H310M-A
Ram: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Solution

The fans spinning doesn't mean anything.

Replace the PSU with a good one and once you have that and it's installed try again and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work then start a warranty claim on the graphics card...
Do you have the monitor plugged into the graphics card or the video port on the MB? You do have the PCIe power connection on the graphics card connected right?

If it is plugged into the graphics card currently..... Take the graphics card out and plug the monitor into the MB and see if that works.

Your MB went up for some unknown reason and you didn't change out that junk PSU for a better quality unit? That should have been the 1st thing you replaced.

It is VERY possible that your graphics is also fired.

Highly recommended that you replace that junk PSU with a quality unit before you buy any more parts.

Aug 1, 2018
no i do not have it plugged in. it displays to my monitor when plugged into the motherboard. I tried to download the nvida driver and it didnt recognize my graphics card like it wasnt even there.

ps i probs will get a better power supply but i cheaped out on stuff that didnt seem essential

It won't see it if it's not plugged into the graphics card.

Get a new PSU 1st off, a good quality one.

Then once you have it try and install the graphics card again, if it still doesn't work then you PSU took that out with the old MB.

The PSU is the MOST IMPORTANT PART IN THE PC.

That's the last thing that should ever be cheapened out on.

Get a good quality 550W PSU.

Aug 1, 2018

Aug 1, 2018
Im saying when i had it plugged in with the PSU. but i highly doubt the psu even with how cheap it is fried my board and graphics card like that. anyways if it did could I send the graphics card back, will nvida accept my exchange or will the fix it for me.

Sure it can, it happens more than you would believe.

What's the actual timeline of events here, in detail? It sounds like the 1060 worked with your old motherboard, but for how long? And what indications led you to believe that the old motherboard had failed? And then the 1060 only booted once with the new motherboard? Have you tried clearing the motherboard's CMOS to set its BIOS configuration back to the default options? Also, double-check that any connections are firmly in place. Detach and reattach the power cables running to the card, and remove and reinsert the card into the motherboard to see if that makes any difference (With the system powered down, of course).

Also, that's not exactly what I would consider a "junk" PSU. Tom's Hardware at least found it to be relatively decent for a lower-cost model in their review...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-bt-value-psu,5605-12.html

That's not to say there couldn't be some flaw in your particular unit, but at the very least, it should not be a hazard by design. As far as low-priced budget PSUs go, EVGA tends to produce some of the better ones.

Oh yeah it is, it's junk.

Show me a reputable review describing it as "junk" rather than an "amazing value", and you might have a good case. : D

The 200+ user reviews for this particular model on Amazon also appear to be largely positive, and even looking at only the critical reviews, I didn't notice a single one mentioning their unit damaging other hardware.

Could there be a defect with this particular unit? It's possible, but based on the limited information available here, it's just as likely that some other component might be at fault, or simply a configuration issue.

This PSU is obviously not going to be as well built or efficient as a $180 Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium, but that doesn't mean it won't likely serve its purpose in a more budget-minded system.

Aug 1, 2018

Aug 1, 2018
i unpluged everything except for the cpu from the motherboard and it wouldnt turn on. now i have not tried to clear my cmos how would i do that. ive removed the card and put it back in waiting about three hours to put it back in aswell as reseating it multiple times. and it never botted with the new motherboard. the fans spun and that is the only indication that the unit is alive. do you know if there is a place in the us that i can go to to see if my gpu works in another computer to make sure its not dead?

The fans spinning doesn't mean anything.

Replace the PSU with a good one and once you have that and it's installed try again and see what happens.

If it still doesn't work then start a warranty claim on the graphics card.

BUT GET A NEW PSU BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

Trash that junk PSU you have now.

Solution