Question Brand new GPU has a faulty fan ?

Jul 14, 2023
I just ordered the PowerColor Fighter AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT from Amazon a few days ago, and I don't recall hearing this sound when I first installed it, but now I am hearing it pretty clearly. I haven't done anything other than change the fan curve through MSI Afterburner. I notice the fans run at 35% Fan Speed, which is the minimum and doesn't go any lower than that. Is it coil whine or is it just the fan? I feel like it's the fan since when I would enable "Zero RPM" or physically stop the fan the sound would go away. I'm real particular with my system being quiet so, any out of the ordinary sound bothers me. I'm thinking about either trying to fix the fan if possible, or simply returning it. Any help with this? My GPU is the loudest part of my system while IDLE, which should not be the case.

VIDEO

Specs:
GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: MPG B550 Gaming Plus
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

Last edited:
Dude I turned up my volume on my 800 watt speaker system and still couldn't hear it in that video....

Idk even know how you can even hear that with a side panel on...

I mean all fans will make noise, got a moving part, it will make noise, its moving air, you the blades chopping threw the air, you got the motor an electric magnet its gonna make a little noise, A replacement card is probably not going to fix that.

Either im deaf or it just didn't pick up in the video, clearly the noise of your finger on the fan about blew my subwoofer cross the room lol

Would ask for a replacement before you tear it apart though, that way its less of a chance that they will fight you about it if you do have to send it in for a different problem.

Good Luck!

Jul 14, 2023
Dude I turned up my volume on my 800 watt speaker system and still couldn't hear it in that video....

Idk even know how you can even hear that with a side panel on...

I mean all fans will make noise, got a moving part, it will make noise, its moving air, you the blades chopping threw the air, you got the motor an electric magnet its gonna make a little noise, A replacement card is probably not going to fix that.

Either im deaf or it just didn't pick up in the video, clearly the noise of your finger on the fan about blew my subwoofer cross the room lol

Would ask for a replacement before you tear it apart though, that way its less of a chance that they will fight you about it if you do have to send it in for a different problem.

Good Luck!
I could've made a better video, but you can hear the issue towards the end of the video once I took my fingers off the fan, and the fans resume. I will admit, the beginning you can't really hear much other than air moving, but this is my 2nd 6700 XT card now, and the last one I had was damn near silent other than the atrocious coil whine it had. Hoping I'd catch better luck, I purchased a different GPU, but it seems like I've encountered another issue. I know how GPUs would sound, and this doesn't sound right to me

Last edited:
With headphones on, I could hear the noise. It sounds like ball bearings rattling, rather than the normal fan sound (it reminds me of cheap skateboard wheels when the bearings wear out). I don't know if it's normal on those fans to have such obvious bearing noises, but I'd be surprised if it was normal.

Jul 14, 2023
With headphones on, I could hear the noise. It sounds like ball bearings rattling, rather than the normal fan sound (it reminds me of cheap skateboard wheels when the bearings wear out). I don't know if it's normal on those fans to have such obvious bearing noises, but I'd be surprised if it was normal.
Is this fixable? or should I just return this card and get another?

Jul 14, 2023
I assume the fans are easily changed out, but on a new card you should just return it. However, in order to return it, the problem must be obvious, otherwise you're relying on the seller to accept it back.
Ok, appreciate the response. Luckily, I ordered the card from Amazon just a few days ago, so I shouldn't have an issue returning it. Such a bummer though as it's a brand new card.

It's very difficult to tell, it kind of sounds slightly rough to me, which might be a bearing issue. Also you shouldn't touch the fans like that and hold them in place while they are on. You could damage the motor.

If you think there is an issue I would simply return the card.

Jun 14, 2023
I just ordered the PowerColor Fighter AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT from Amazon a few days ago, and I don't recall hearing this sound when I first installed it, but now I am hearing it pretty clearly. I haven't done anything other than change the fan curve through MSI Afterburner. I notice the fans run at 35% Fan Speed, which is the minimum and doesn't go any lower than that. Is it coil whine or is it just the fan? I feel like it's the fan since when I would enable "Zero RPM" or physically stop the fan the sound would go away. I'm real particular with my system being quiet so, any out of the ordinary sound bothers me. I'm thinking about either trying to fix the fan if possible, or simply returning it. Any help with this? My GPU is the loudest part of my system while IDLE, which should not be the case.

VIDEO

Specs:
GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: MPG B550 Gaming Plus
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
It's possible that the sound you're hearing is coming from the fan rather than the coil whine. Try checking for any obstructions or cleaning the fan to see if it helps. If the issue persists.

Jun 14, 2023
Based on your description, the noise you're hearing is more likely related to the fan rather than the coil whine. It's possible that the fan settings or physical obstructions are causing the noise. Try adjusting the fan curve, cleaning the fans, and checking for any obstructions. If the issue persists, you can contact PowerColor's customer support or consider returning the GPU for a replacement or refund.