Brand new GTX1060 but little to no fps

pwnzerer007

Prominent
May 24, 2017
Hey guys i just got a new psu 400w and gtx 1060 3 gb gigabyte mini itx
My processor is corei5-2500 and 4b ddr3 ram
i am experiencing extremely low fps in games such as CS:GO and dmc , it runs smooth for maybe half a second then fps drops start happening
i am on a very tight budget , thus lack of better cpu
although i did not have these issues with my old GT740

I have tried reinstalling windows , using DDU to uninstall then reinstall and using older versions of drivers

any help would be appreciated , my novabench results are : CPU Vendor Intel Core i5-2500 running at 3.3GHz

GPU Vendor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

OS Logo Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

4GB RAM (Score: 119)
- RAM Speed: 5099 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 256)
- Show details

GPU Tests (Score: 213)
- 3D FPS: 628

Disk Tests (Score: 15)
- Write Speed: 45 MB/s

thanks in advance :)

Solution

See my post above, I have given you the steps to fix it.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I doubt that's it, under powered PSU's might cause stability issues but shouldn't affect framerates. Also as long as it's a reasonable power supply 400W is enough for a 2500 + 1060 combo.

I'm not a CS:GO player but you are way over the requirements for it so it should be smooth, you didn't make some silly mistake like plug the monitor onto the onboard video did you? (happens surprisingly often).

How do other games run? you should be able to run most fairly well, although 4GB RAM might be a bit low for newer games. Did you try removing the old drivers and reinstalling the latest from Nvidia? use the clean install option when installing to remove older ones.

pwnzerer007

Prominent
May 24, 2017

I did try several clean installs , i am getting literally 5-10 fps and yea its plugged in into gpu through dvi , issue is same even when i try lowest possible settings with 800x600 res , any solution would be greatly appreciated , all i know is my psu manufacturer name is pryon

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Check your CPU temps, pretty common for the CPU heatsink to be disturbed and no longer making good thermal contact (the thermal paste goes dry when old).

Also double check you have the monitor plugged into the new GTX 1060 and not the motherboard.

pwnzerer007

Prominent
May 24, 2017

i will definitely look into this , i was browsing my bios it said temp was 79 there but i am getting msi after burner right now to confirm , also in case this is the problem , how would i go about fixing this , do i get new cooling paste ?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Ah yeah if its 79 in the bios then its way too hot as thats just idling.

Yeah you need to get some new thermal paste (Artic MX-4 is pretty cheap and very good). Remove the CPU heatsink, clean off all the old paste (you might need some pure alchohol to clean it off if its gone hard), apply a rice grain sized blob on the cpu, then re mount the cpu cooler (let the heatsink spread it when you push it down, its just to fill the gaps).

pwnzerer007

Prominent
May 24, 2017

i think we found the problem , my cpu temps while idle are 83 degrees , any help how i can fix this ?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

See my post above, I have given you the steps to fix it.

Solution