Brand new HDD, error code 0x80ff0000

mxalex414

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I've searched this "0x80ff0000" error code on google, much of the discussions lead to this website as well as others. Most of them point to the probability of disk failure. This doesn't make sense in my situation because the hard drive I'm trying to install windows 10 onto is brand spanking new. I was having issues with my previous hard drive, it just wouldn't boot windows all together, it was all over the place with errors "imminent disk failure" messages ect. For clarification, this new hard drive is installed onto the same motherboard as the previous hard drive. Further clarification, I'm installing windows through a bootable USB. I just ran a diagnostic, and it's showing both BIOHD-8, and BIOHD-3 on the Drive test. I don't get it.

So here I am now, trying to install windows 10 on my other computer with literally nothing on it. And I can't get windows to install. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Well in many cases you should be able to flash your BIOS/UEFI with a newer version via a USB flash drive, which does not require you to boot to Windows. However, I'm not familiar with the computer and don't know if this method is doable. You'd have to check the User Manual or contact the manufacturer for info on how to update your BIOS/UEFI.
Hey there, mxalex414

Well, it really seems like the drive might be at fault here, as this is an error indicating disk issues. Even though it's a brand new HDD it could be a faulty one. These things happen sometimes. So you've tried installing Windows on that drive with your other computer as well? If "yes", the it really might be a faulty drive if the same thing happens with both computer. If you still haven't tried it with the second computer, go ahead and give it a go. I'd also recommend that you test the HDD with its manufacturer's diagnostic tool, to see what's the situation with it, as I don't really know what's the BIOHD-8 and BIOHD-3 you've gotten from the diagnostics you've already run.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

mxalex414

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

I've since done further research on this issue. The BIOHD-8 error comes up in the HP diagnostic tool. My computer is an HP, of course. It turns out that HP has had some problems with some older motherboards malfunctioning in a way that would not allow proper communication between the motherboard and the hard drive. So the diagnostic tool thinks that there's something wrong with the HD, when in fact that it is the motherboard that is damaged. I've tried yet another hard drive as well. BIOHD-8 still comes up. HP doesn't seem to acknowledge this issue, but there are many people who have experienced this and have discovered that it is in fact the motherboard. I'm just not going to buy HP again.

mxalex414

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I've read that it could also be a BIOS related issue, but that's where I hit a brick wall. I can't get into windows at all in the affected computer, is there a way to do as you suggest without actually having windows on the HDD?

Well in many cases you should be able to flash your BIOS/UEFI with a newer version via a USB flash drive, which does not require you to boot to Windows. However, I'm not familiar with the computer and don't know if this method is doable. You'd have to check the User Manual or contact the manufacturer for info on how to update your BIOS/UEFI.

Solution