Question Brand New HDD Failing

l3tr1xingame

Honorable
Sep 30, 2017
Hello.
I have bought a new Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD. I paired it with a Crucial Bx300 120GB SSD. It was working well until now. Sometimes it stops working and doesn't let anything open and when listening to music, stops for 30-45 seconds, D: drive disconnects and then reconnect, as if it were a USB drive. I tried by changing virtual memory config, power options, tried IDE and AHCI, I formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD but still the same. I noticed that the HDD makes some noises, like it was a physical failure but its new and never suffered a fall.
The Windows Event Viewer throws error 157, 154, 153 and 51. I ran HDD Tune Pro bad sector scan but there are no bad sectors; same with HDD Regenerator. SeaTools and CHKDSK, no errors. The HDD is defragged but it makes no difference.

Right now, I can't play any music or open any image stored on the HDD and its making a lot of noise when I try.

Some screenshots:
xgS52jr.png

ZqLXgo3.png

ScoFDno.png

pFPNOGt.png

l3tr1xingame

Honorable
Sep 30, 2017
I changed the SATA cables to ports SATA 0 (SSD) and 1 (HDD) and set the HDD to horizontal and seems to work fine for now. Still 'clicking' but almost never and I can use it normally. No disconnects and no errors so far

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As USAFRet said backup your files and be prepared for a failure. You never know when it happens (even with brand new drives). This one has been acting up and is more likely to end up dead anytime.

No bad sectors is kind of a good sign for now. I'd also suggest using HD Sentinel for checking SMART status and possible bad sectors and scanning the drive.

What do you mean you set it to horizontal? You mean the drive orientation? Was is vertical/standing before? Also having changed both cables and ports might indicate the problem was with the cable or port.

Again, backup data as it might fail sooner or later.