Sep 16, 2020
Just finished this build 2 days ago, I have nothing on the hard drive except for 3 steam games (nothing to backup on the bright side). No problems for the ~3hrs I had it on for, shut down PC normally, but after coming back and booting up I was met with a "WARNING: Hard drive failure imminent..." screen. No option to continue, I can only get into the BIOS (even though the OS is on a seperate drive).

Does this seem like a manufacturing problem or was this an error on my part? Again, the HDD is only 2 days old, it's a 4TB Seagate Barracuda with only ~200gb worth of games on it.

Solution
Thanks for the response @Nemesia

Specs are...
CPU: i7-10700k
GPU: GTX 1080
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
RAM: 2x16gb DDR4 @3200
STORAGE: 500gb M.2 ssd (Boot drive) + 4TB HDD (Failing drive)

The entire system is brand new and was working fine during testing. I'd assume it'll boot if I unplug the HDD, I haven't tried yet though. It does tell me that this specific HDD is the issue.

The OS was installed while this drive was plugged in, but before it was initialized.

Yeah just unplug the new HDD. If you still get the message it's your OS drive. If not it's your new HDD.

I have no idea if Windows install can actually put system files on a drive that is isn't initialized in disk management first. If it can it could be the OS...
Hi Nerbs.

What is your full system specs?

I will assume that you have 2 drive in that system. One with the OS and the new HDD.

This failure is based on SMART reporting. SMART is a feature built into hard drives and motherboards to be able to predict possible failure of a drive. If you are getting this message most likely there is an issue with one of your drive.

The question is. Which one?

Unplug the new HDD. Can you still boot to Windows without getting that message?

Did you install the OS on the other drive while your new HDD was plugged?

Sep 16, 2020

Specs are...

The entire system is brand new and was working fine during testing. I'd assume it'll boot if I unplug the HDD, I haven't tried yet though. It does tell me that this specific HDD is the issue.

The OS was installed while this drive was plugged in, but before it was initialized.

Reactions: Ronnie Jeffrey

Specs are...

Yeah just unplug the new HDD. If you still get the message it's your OS drive. If not it's your new HDD.

I have no idea if Windows install can actually put system files on a drive that is isn't initialized in disk management first. If it can it could be the OS drive. You will know if you unplug that new HDD.

Let me know :)

Solution