[SOLVED] Brand new i7 10700k overheating

Apr 5, 2021
I just installed an i7 10700k into my pc and it ran fine. Even while gaming and streaming. Then I shut off stream and left to run errands. When I came back tonight it let me run For about an hour and then everything shut down and I got an error saying my cpu is too hot. I have a corsair h60 liquid cooler and I made sure there was enough thermal paste and even added a little more. Then I hooked everything back up made sure it was tight and then it did the same thing an hour later. It just froze up. Shut down. And when it restarted I got a cpu temp error. What is the deal

Solution
an H60 uses a quite small radiator with a single 120 mm fan?

At some point, it will be saturated with heat, leading to 'runaway'....

(The fluid warms up, so cools even less, leading to more heat...and less cooling..,.and...

Well, you get the picture...!)

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Sounds like a broken cooler. My AIO water cooler xxxx the bed a while back.

<MODERATOR EDIT>

PROFANITY is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN !!!

Tom's is a family friendly website.
Comply with our Forum Rules or be permanently BANNED !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

(The fluid warms up, so cools even less, leading to more heat...and less cooling..,.and...

Solution

Agree with this. A 120mm is at best equivalent to a mediocre air cooler. I’d only consider a 120mm AIO when space is an issue, otherwise they are poor performance for their price.