[SOLVED] Brand new i7 10700k overheating

Apr 5, 2021
I just installed an i7 10700k into my pc and it ran fine. Even while gaming and streaming. Then I shut off stream and left to run errands. When I came back tonight it let me run For about an hour and then everything shut down and I got an error saying my cpu is too hot. I have a corsair h60 liquid cooler and I made sure there was enough thermal paste and even added a little more. Then I hooked everything back up made sure it was tight and then it did the same thing an hour later. It just froze up. Shut down. And when it restarted I got a cpu temp error. What is the deal. Im also not overclocking

Solution
What is the make/model of your case?
What is your intake fan arrangement?
Agreed, H60 Is a small cooler and will inhibit the default performance of your 10700K.
If you have owned it for a while, air will eventually intrude, reducing it's effectiveness.
aio coolers do not last forever.
FWIW, I use a noctua NH-D15s on both a I7-11700K and a i9-11900KF with no heat issues.
The turbo mechanism will increase performance if your cpu can be kept under 70c.
Apr 5, 2021
H60 is not ideal.

Why would it have ran fine earlier. Could that be the issue? What cooler would you recommend

Apr 5, 2021
Probably because water was colder before you went out but was close to getting toward overheating if you continued. Water was already warmish when you got back.

Best coolers would be the thread you're looking at.

I never had this issue with my i5 10600k. Only thr i7 10700k. Is that normal

What is the make/model of your case?
What is your intake fan arrangement?
Agreed, H60 Is a small cooler and will inhibit the default performance of your 10700K.
If you have owned it for a while, air will eventually intrude, reducing it's effectiveness.
aio coolers do not last forever.
FWIW, I use a noctua NH-D15s on both a I7-11700K and a i9-11900KF with no heat issues.
The turbo mechanism will increase performance if your cpu can be kept under 70c.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS