[SOLVED] Brand new I9 9900k running very slow and getting low cpu usage

Sep 9, 2021
Hello everyone, I recently upgraded from a i5 9600k to an i9 9900k. When I installed it I noticed that it runs very slowly and when i run games that are cpu intensive like fortnite i noticed that i'm only getting 1-5% cpu usage on multiple cores and 4-4.7 ghz. The temps are perfectly fine and I have already upgraded my bios and re installed windows 10. I also just tried removing power limits with ThrottleStop and it still is running terribly. Any suggestions? or will this motherboard just not work with an I9 9900k and i need a new one?

My specs are
GTX 1080
i9 9900k
16gb DDR4 Ram
Gigabyte B365m Ds3h mobo
corsair tx750 psu

Solution
Try this:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall the driver using DDU (clean and do not restart)
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on your list) like this:
  • unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_b365m-ds3h_f6e.zip(download, extract the files and copy it to flash drive, plug it on top rear usb slot)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest Intel Chipeset driver, reboot and connect to internet
  • Install the latestt nvidia driver

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh no, that board's VRM is too small for that cpu. They're either power throtting, thermal throttling, or both.

Back then, Gigabyte's Z390 Gaming X was one of the cheapest boards that could be reasonably be paired with the 9900K - no telling what prices are for you now...
But yeah, not all Z370 and Z390 series boards can handle it - it's primarily the bottom barrel, cheapest Zs that weren't good though.

I take it you have the cpu cooler covered then..?

Try this:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall the driver using DDU (clean and do not restart)
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on your list) like this:
  • unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_b365m-ds3h_f6e.zip(download, extract the files and copy it to flash drive, plug it on top rear usb slot)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest Intel Chipeset driver, reboot and connect to internet
  • Install the latestt nvidia driver

Solution
Hello everyone, I recently upgraded from a i5 9600k to an i9 9900k. When I installed it I noticed that it runs very slowly and when i run games that are cpu intensive like fortnite i noticed that i'm only getting 1-5% cpu usage on multiple cores and 4-4.7 ghz. The temps are perfectly fine and I have already upgraded my bios and re installed windows 10. I also just tried removing power limits with ThrottleStop and it still is running terribly. Any suggestions? or will this motherboard just not work with an I9 9900k and i need a new one?

My specs are
GTX 1080
i9 9900k
16gb DDR4 Ram
Gigabyte B365m Ds3h mobo
corsair tx750 psu
Fortnite adjusts its CPU load depending on how many frames it has to push out, if you run with a frame limiter or at a resolution that is confining frames then it's expected for the CPU to only use a couple of cores and only push those.