Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2019
Hello everyone!

My new laptop battery is stuck at 0% and won't charge no matter what fix I try on it. I'll try to provide as much info as possible:

So, I have a 4 year old Asus X751LX laptop, the original battery of which started to loose capacity (which I know is normal after so many years of usage) so I decided to replace it. The new battery I got I installed in the laptop about 2 weeks ago and so far it behaved well - the laptop no longer turned off randomly due to charge loss. However, 2 days ago I wanted to take my laptop off the desk, so I unplugged the charger and it immediately shut down. I tried starting it without plugging back the charger, but pressing the power button did nothing. Only after I plugged the charger back, the laptop started normally. Ever since then the battery has been stuck at 0%, refusing to charge. The mouse hover pop-up I get from the battery indicator says "0% available (plugged in)". After each reboot, the battery indicator animation for charging the battery runs for about 10 seconds as if it's charging, but it doesn't say "charging" and then stops and shows empty battery. I should also mention that since I also replaced my old HDD with SSD, I have also reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I have been reading forums left and right for fixes of the problem for 2 days now and nothing helped. Here's a list of everything I tried so far:

- I have done the fix with uninstalling the battery and ac drivers from device manager, turning off the laptop, unplugging the ac, removing the battery, plugging back the battery, plugging back the ac and turning the laptop on again. I know that I'm supposed to unplug the charger before turning the laptop off, but that shuts down the laptop immediately, as there's 0 charge in the battery. When I turn the laptop back on and the drivers start the automatic installation again, the laptop shuts down after the installation of the first driver (I presume the one for the battery). Since the battery on my specific model is none-removable, I had to open it up and disconnect the connector from the motherboard.

- I have tried the same fix, but with just disabling the two drivers, but to no results again.

- I have tried disabling the PowerSaving mode in the BIOS, but that did nothing as well.

- I have tried updating my BIOS version with the tool provided from the Asus website and even tho the BIOS updated successfully, the battery issue remains.

- I have tried troubleshooting the Power option with the Windows 10 troubleshooting tool, to no result again.

- I have tried keeping the laptop overnight, both completely cut from power and plugged in. In the second case, after some longer time being left on the ac, the battery LED indicator on the front of the laptop starts blinking in orange (I should mention that this indicator usually has several functions: When the battery is fully charged, it should turn green.; When the battery percentage is between full and critically low, and the computer is not plugged in, it should be off.; When the computer is charging, it should be constantly showing orange light (just as it does now).; And when the battery charge falls under critically low, it should start blinking in orange.)

- I have tried switching the power mode in Windows 10, from the default balanced, to a custom one, where the preference is set to maximum performance and the screen and disk are set to never turn off and the computer to never sleep.

- I have tried cleaning both the battery and motherboard connectors from dust by simply blowing at them, but that had not effect either.

* In addition, I sampled the numbers I get regarding the battery from HWinfo. Here's what I get from there: https://ibb.co/NYgbMsK

* This is the link of the exact battery that I ordered (link is in Bulgarian, but Google page translation should do the job): https://www.emag.bg/baterija-hosowe...&X-Section=search&X-MB=0&X-Search-Action=view

My only speculations left by now are either that my ac adapter is faulty or that the battery charge has fallen under the battery's critical minimum, thus now allowing the integrated controller in the battery to function and allow it to charge. The reason why I think the second might be possible is because I know it is recommended when getting a new battery to charge and discharge completely 3 times, while allowing the battery to cool to room temperature between charges. I did only one full charge and I did not discharge it completely after installing it. The first option however seems unlikely to me, as HWinfo shows 14.400 V on Current voltage and since the battery voltage is exactly as much, I assume that the charger is trying to deliver power to it after all (I might be totally wrong here, so please correct me if so). The last thing that I haven't done at this point is to completely reinstall Windows 10, but after all the other software fixes, I'm not sure if that's necessary (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Any help is largely appreciated as I'm honestly pretty desperate at this point. Also, if any additional information is needed, I am here to provide it. Cheers!

Most likely issue is charger not working or battery is bad. If that is a real ASUS battery it is not likely to fail as often as cheap copies, but if it was sitting in some warehouse for a few years it may have started to go bad.

Next most likely issue is with the charger port on the laptop or on the motherboard.

Reactions: Noobie11
Aug 5, 2019
Most likely issue is charger not working or battery is bad. If that is a real ASUS battery it is not likely to fail as often as cheap copies, but if it was sitting in some warehouse for a few years it may have started to go bad.

Next most likely issue is with the charger port on the laptop or on the motherboard.
I am starting to suspect this is exactly the case here. I've been asking around and apparently other ppl have had numerous experiences with low quality product vendors.

Aug 5, 2019
CASE UPDATE:
I have determined, trough testing, that the issue can't be resolved though any of the known software fixes, which have led me to the following options - a) (the most likely one) the battery was faulty out of the box; b) because of not doing the mandatory routine of charging and discharging the battery completely 3 times in order to 'awake' the entirety of its cells, it has reached a critically low charge, not sufficient for the controller integrated in the battery to tell it to start charging again (apparently this controller draws power from the battery only and not from the ac, which is mindbogglingly stupid to me, but hey); c) the ac has become faulty and now only powers the laptop, but can not charge the battery; d) the laptop's ac plug has become faulty and only allows power to the motherboard, but not to the battery.
Unfortunately, I'll be only able to test all of this after several months (sometime in December), due to traveling, but at least, then I'll know for sure. Until then, I'm using my computer only while plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.