[SOLVED] Brand new laptop overheating?

Feb 22, 2020
i got a brand new Asus ROG strix earlier today and i've been browsing the internet for about 5 hours only to find my laptop is overheating. I have five tabs open in chrome and thats it, and the CPU temperature is at 80 degrees. Is this normal? should i be concerned? if it can't handle having multiple tabs open at once then i might have to consider returning it seeing as i got this laptop for school mostly.

Solution
Make sure no air intake vents are covered while you're using it. Check your Task Manager for apps that's running heavily in the background. CPU fans must be turned on when you're using your laptop. Try running a heavy process that takes CPU power and see if your fans are starting to spin faster.

It's normal to get as high as 80 C as long as your laptop doesn't shut down due to its own heat. If problem still persists, you might want to replace your laptop with another one as long as it still has its warranty

Duskie

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
You must have a warranty for it if you purchased it recently. Return it and get it replaced. This is not normal at all. To be sure, mind telling us the exact model and where you bought it from?

Unknown E

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2016
Make sure no air intake vents are covered while you're using it. Check your Task Manager for apps that's running heavily in the background. CPU fans must be turned on when you're using your laptop. Try running a heavy process that takes CPU power and see if your fans are starting to spin faster.

It's normal to get as high as 80 C as long as your laptop doesn't shut down due to its own heat. If problem still persists, you might want to replace your laptop with another one as long as it still has its warranty

Solution
i got a brand new Asus ROG strix earlier today and i've been browsing the internet for about 5 hours only to find my laptop is overheating. I have five tabs open in chrome and thats it, and the CPU temperature is at 80 degrees. Is this normal? should i be concerned? if it can't handle having multiple tabs open at once then i might have to consider returning it seeing as i got this laptop for school mostly.
As said before check the vents, check TM also check the performance setting is on energy saver when you don't need extra oomf, that'll also help with battery life.