Question Brand new laptop shuts down severall times right after first booting up

Oct 26, 2019
Hello! Today I bought an ASUS laptop and, after reading the starter manual, I left it charging for 3 hours, as it was what the manual recommended. When I go to power the laptop on, I don't get an image on the screen at first and after maybe 10 seconds, it just shuts off. One second after, without me touching it, it boots up, this time showing an image, only to shut down 5 seconds later. It does this severall times (still without me touching it) untill I decide to unplug the cord to make it run only on battery and it appeared that fixed the booting up loop, even though it could be purely coincidental.

I should point out that I charged the 3 hours in a different socket, so I tried to boot it up immediatly after unplugging the cord from that socket and putting it in a new one.
I have also noticed that the battery indicator only goes to 98%.

Is this normal on a brand new laptop? After it finally fully booted up, i had no problem with it, but i'm afraid I will run into some in the future.

Oct 26, 2019
Brand new? ---- get it exchanged under warranty.
Thanks for the answer but I am pretty sure they will consider that nothing is wrong with the machine as it is fully functional after that first episode, and thus won't exchange it. I was just wondering if it was normal due to the components not being active from the time they have been assembled to me finally booting up. The strangest thing is that it wasn't a normal shutdown, it was like a cycle of shutdowns, like the hardware knew what it was doing (I don't know if I can make myself clear).

Sep 5, 2019
when computers shut down like this, it;s ususally an overheating issue, I had this happen twice over the course of 10 years, both on desktop computers when the CPU fan went bad.

On the first time, it was aircool cooler so it was easier to see the fault. But second time round it was harder as it was an AIO liquid cooler, the fan was working but the pump failed. Diagnosed by looking at core temps.