[SOLVED] Brand new laptop underperforming ... or not ?

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
Hello , i had an old ''gaming asus laptop'' from 2018 .. Asus FX504 the 60hz panel weak version . I just upgraded with Asus Tuf Gaming F15 144hz, brand new from the shop with warranty and everything , and somehow im getting pretty much the same frames like my old laptop with much lower specs ... in all the games i play , i dont know why :[

specs are :

i5 10300H
GTX 1660Ti
8GB DDR4-3200mhz
512gb NVMe SSD
Guenine Windows 10 - [debloated and optimized as much as i can with all the tweaks available on the internet for gaming]
144hz panel
im using Quick CPU program , Intelligent Standby List cleaner etc , updated gpu drivers and everything ...i put the 1660ti to be prefered graphics adapter in the nvidia settings but im not even sure if that helps ... etc. .
- the laptop is always plugged in socket and not on battery .
-set in full performance mode in the ''Asus Armory bla bla '' application that u can control stuff of the laptop ..
-xbox app , cortana , search bars , windows updates etc ..everything uninstalled and completely stopped / removed ...fully debloated the windows for more performance [, still is <Mod Edit> .

so , i dont know what is wrong but i cannot reach the 144fps mark for the 144hz panel even on the <Mod Edit> games in low settings ... like 60-90fps in Dota 2 with everything low etc ...i had the same fps on my old laptop which is .. crazy ? wtf is wrong ? Is there something wrong or thats normal for this laptop ? i dont know ..i opened the BIOS and there is nothing u can change there ... HELP pls ^^

Some1 i was gaming with , suggested to install more ram , but i don;t even know what ram exactly is installed in the laptop and i dont wanna open it ... on the picture you can see the information i was able to get for the ram from the CMD , it tells nothing to me but if you can FIND me a proper ram that i can buy to upgrade that is THE SAME as mine i will appreciate it cus i dont know ..
TsTgOkF.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Your RAM speed is set correctly to what the i5 supports (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html)

Of course you could try better timming RAM, that one that came with your notebook looks weak. Then again you will have to make sure is compatible with your notebook. Usually Kingston and Crucial keep databases on which you can check your laptop model and see what RAM they recommend.

And yes, as it was written already, 2x8GB should give you better results than 1x8GB.

And I agree with Unolocogringo, you should really get rid of all those performance apps like Armory Crate. The only things you need to keep your system at its best are: Good BIOS...
Your laptop memory is upgradable to 32gb memory. 260 PIN DDR4 2X8GB SO-DIMM 3200 2X16GB SO-DIMM You can try using Msi afterburner to overclock your gpu a little. You should be getting from 70-150fps depending on which games you are using at 1080p with that setup . Check your bios to make sure your memory is running at 3200mhz. Turn off the quick cpu program and set your windows power setting to high performance. See if this changes things.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
hDrZ6vQ.png
yJcen5k.png

thats how my ram is running right now ... it has to be multipled by 2x right ? so its running on 2800mhz or ? ^how can i change that ? bios doesnt let me do <Mod Edit> ..Other than that ,,yeah im using 1080p and im on highest performance possible in the power plan . I got 60-90 fps in Dota 2 at minimum settings ... i had that fps with my old laptop that was much weaker ... gtx1030 , 8gb ddr3 , i5 8th gen. this one is 1660ti , 8gb ddr4 , i5 10th gen

Last edited by a moderator:
Your memory is running at 2933 ish mhz which isn't exactly slow by any means, but the cas latency ratings are real bad. Could you post up the front page of your bios so I can take a peek? With only one stick of memory you are running in single channel mode, which will slow things down a bit, and of course with at least 16gb ram you would be running at double channel mode at recommended amount of ram for modern games. I found something like this with low cas latency should improve things. Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) 260-Pin DDR4 3200 Laptop Memory - Newegg.com

Uninstall Nvidia drivers and run DDU.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Download and Install newest driver with Right click-Run as administrator.
Set everything to defaults in Nvidia CP.
Then turn on "Threaded Optimization.
Set power to "prefer maximum performance.
Go to windows power settings and choose "high performance"
Uninstall all of the "Performance/Optimizing Apps" you have installed. including Armory Crate. Most are totally useless and can cause major slowdowns on their own.And just create more problems because you do not know what they change.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Your RAM speed is set correctly to what the i5 supports (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html)

Of course you could try better timming RAM, that one that came with your notebook looks weak. Then again you will have to make sure is compatible with your notebook. Usually Kingston and Crucial keep databases on which you can check your laptop model and see what RAM they recommend.

And yes, as it was written already, 2x8GB should give you better results than 1x8GB.

And I agree with Unolocogringo, you should really get rid of all those performance apps like Armory Crate. The only things you need to keep your system at its best are: Good BIOS settings, to keep Windows installation clean, latest Drivers and of course a good balance of hardware.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Solution
Definitely turn on threaded optimization in Control panel. It will take advantage of your high end cpu. Turn off low latency mode. It limits how many frames your gpu can draw up in advance. And go with lower cas memory and upgrade to at least 16 gb and you should see the laptop perform as intended. And just to make sure under hardware and sound, device manager, display adapter you are using the 1660 and not Intel hd graphics.

Reactions: RodroX

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
The drivers are currently clean installed with DDU > VNCleaninstall and i got only Physix+Graphic Driver and HD HDMI Audio , all the bloatware is gone . Also the windows is fully debloated , i tried all the settings and changing all of them to whatever , doesnt change much ... i got pretty much same fps even when i put everything on maximum quality xD i dont know why but its crazy ..i debloated everything except this asus armory crate stuff cus im afraid to touch them i dont know if its rly good to do that ..u sure ? And the bios as i said , i cannot touch ANYTHING there ... i put it in advanced mode .. and everything i can do is stuff like start/stop hyperthreading , usb settings and boot settings , it doesnt let me change anything ....on the other hand on my PC i can change everything ... like ram mhz, cpu multiplier n stuff , but on this laptop .. everything seems completely locked so u don't screw it up or smth ... i dont know ..i will change the ram with 16gb ballistix kit like next week probably ...but still .. i think its heavly underperforming for some reason . From what i can see , it uses my intel gpu on my ''Dekstop'' .. but use the 1660ti when i go in game [supposedly] ...

Last edited:
BIOS setting may be hide, some brands do this (actually most of them). Sometimes you can access this "hide" settings by pressing some key combination, other times you just can't.

As for the memory upgrade, be sure to check RAM is compatible with your laptop.

As for game performance it will be great if you can restart your laptop, let it sit still (don't touch anything) 1 or 2 mins, then donwload and run userbenchmark (https://www.userbenchmark.com/). Please share the result link in here.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
QD3OeUI.png

is it normal that it shows my integrated gpu as Display adapter etc ? how can i change that ? or thats normal ? Should i DISABLE my integrated gpu and use ONLY the 1660ti instead ? is this going to give me any benefits ? Thank you !

Last edited:

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
mmm thats not right, it should said somehting like: Connected to GTX 1660Ti

Are nvidia drivers installed right now?
AuWaPtJ.png

yes all drivers are installed , but i also noticed there is no ;;display;; section in my nvidia control panel
PwNDzjr.png

thats the device manager section .. i don't know why it says PCI device under other devices .. and if something is wrong with that ..
qY7D6bf.png

Last edited:
AuWaPtJ.png

yes all drivers are installed , but i also noticed there is no ;;display;; section in my nvidia control panel
PwNDzjr.png

thats the device manager section .. i don't know why it says PCI device under other devices .. and if something is wrong with that ..
qY7D6bf.png

Try to "Update Driver", or run Windows update and check the "additional/others" updates and see if theres any drivers to install.

Also de display should be under "Monitor" on Windows Device Manager.

tomazo-be

Commendable
Feb 19, 2021
hm , i already did that ... and it installed a bunch of bad things like nvidia experience and so much bloatware .. but i played games for a couple of days like this .. then i uninstalled everything with DDU and installed the newest drivers AGAIN . but with the program NVNCleaninstall which makes me choose to install all the drivers but without the bloatware so ended up doing this ...here are pictures of my dxdiag too
l3SnYxx.png
UkYYtRU.png

Perhaps the laptop support some sort of hybird mode, on low graphic load it use the integrated GPU to save battery life, while on gaming it use the GTX 1660 TI.

Thats why its a good idea to try userbenchmark as a quick test. If the 3D part shows GTX 1660 TI, then the laptop its changing loads the right way.

TRENDING THREADS