[SOLVED] Brand new laptop, very small black spot. Is this my first ever dead pixel? Or just stuck?

Mar 20, 2020
Hi all, just purchased myself a new Asus zenbook and the screen has a very small black spot that is there regardless of what is behind it. I took some close-up photos and it doesn't seem so well defined, as I would expect a dead pixel to have a rectangular shape:

20200320183615.jpg
20200320183645.jpg

The screen is 14 inches so the spot is pretty tiny when viewed from eyes but is annoying nonetheless.

Any idea if this a stuck or a dead pixel?

Solution
Hi all, just purchased myself a new Asus zenbook and the screen has a very small black spot that is there regardless of what is behind it. I took some close-up photos and it doesn't seem so well defined, as I would expect a dead pixel to have a rectangular shape:

The screen is 14 inches so the spot is pretty tiny when viewed from eyes but is annoying nonetheless.

That is almost certainly not a dead pixel. There is something that is behind the LCD but in front of the backlight. Basically something is stuck between the layers of the display. Try gently tapping the sides and top of the display. Also, try gently pushing on the spot to see if anything changes. I have had a small insect get...

That is almost certainly not a dead pixel. There is something that is behind the LCD but in front of the backlight. Basically something is stuck between the layers of the display. Try gently tapping the sides and top of the display. Also, try gently pushing on the spot to see if anything changes. I have had a small insect get into my display before and I unknowingly smushed it. Later on, I was able to move the small corpse by tapping the monitor until it literally fell to the bottom where I could no longer see it. I am not saying this is what you have but its possible.

Solution
Mar 20, 2020
Ok, thanks helper800. I have decided that it isn't annoying enough to warrant an RMA, even though I'm pretty sure that if it is a bit of dust then it is firmly stuck in there. The laptop is well made and I don't think that there is any room between the glass and the screen for it to fall through