[SOLVED] Brand new memory having issues

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
stick with 1 thread
So i literally just upgraded my computer two days ago with a new kit of ddr4 3200 2x8 gb corsair vengeance lpx. I had a error today with memory management, did memory test and sure enough it says you have hardware problems. Ive contacted corsair to see what I can do but I want others opinions as well. Is the ram defective? I am currently using the system and it runs just fine. Im not sure what is wrong. I tried to increase the voltage a tiny bit to the memory but either my mb or the ram itself doesn't allow it. I just want to know if someone has any tips that i could try before i evidently have to send it back in and get a new kit.

Specs:
MB: asrock ab350m pro 4 mb(ram in slots A2 and B2 running at 3200)
Ram: 2x8 gb corsair vengence lpx ddr4 3200
GPU gtx 1060 6 gb
600w 80plus Bronze psu,
1tb hdd
120gb ssd
5 case fans.

Solution
so if id pop the other kit back in is their a possibility that it could come back? I did nothing different besides turn the system off, unplug the ram, plug in the new ram turn system back on, go into bios and configure xmp to get ram to run at 3200. I dont wanna try to find a new brand and kit but i also dont want to have a corrupt windows file and have to do windows again. I lost all my game files because of this stupid error so not really looking forward to having to restart all my games.
If the other RAM kit is defective it will almost certainly come back. I'm trying to follow the essence of your entire thread so I may be missing something.
But basically if you run memtest on the RAM and it came back with problems, then it...

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
If you are running XMP you have to disable to change RAM voltage. You will have to disable and set all values manually to up the voltage. Shouldn’t be an issue though. I prefer Gskill and they have ram made specifically for AMD.
Do i need to save and restart with xmp off in order to change voltages then? And I was told Gskill isnt very reliable and i got a pretty good deal on the memory from amazon.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
So i recently bought a new kit of ram for my computer. the first kit was doa so i sent it back and got another kit, it has been working great now. The issue is I now am having most of my games crash after a certian period of time. Battlefield 1 crashes after only a few seconds, were as prison architect crashed about 20 mins in. It never did this before and i know my system can run the games. Specs are below. It only allows one game to function properly and thats world of tanks blitz. I have no clue why it is doing this. Ive got latest nvidia drivers and windows is up to date. Its really starting to get annoying. Please help.

Specs:
MB- ab350m pro 4 asrock
PSSR- ryzen 5 2400g not oc
2x8 gb ddr4 3200 corsair vengence white
nvidia gtx 1060 6gb from asus
600 w psu from evga
1 120gb ssd
1 1tb hdd
5 case fans.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
For that corsair RAM to work @ 3200MHz without issues on the ASRock AB350m pro 4, you will have to manually set voltage (1.35v) in the BIOS.
You might also need to set timings manually.
Its already running at 1.35 out of the box. I cant manually change it to go any higher. As for timings i have no clue how to do those and keep it stable. its 16.16.16.36 for timings i believe.

Its already running at 1.35 out of the box. I cant manually change it to go any higher. As for timings i have no clue how to do those and keep it stable. its 16.16.16.36 for timings i believe.
Are those the timings in the specifications of your Corsair RAM?
What's the model of your Corsair RAM?

Did you selected you RAM from ASRock Qualify Vendor List (QVL)?
When RAM is not listed, you might have to manually set voltages and timings.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Are those the timings in the specifications of your Corsair RAM?
What's the model of your Corsair RAM?

Did you selected you RAM from ASRock Qualify Vendor List (QVL)?
When RAM is not listed, you might have to manually set voltages and timings.
Yes that is the stock xmp settings for the kit. The exact model number is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W.

This kit was listed in the qvl list as well. It is only 8 gigs more than the origional kit i had.

Yes that is the stock xmp settings for the kit. The exact model number is CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W.

This kit was listed in the qvl list as well. It is only 8 gigs more than the origional kit i had.
The max supported (JEDEC) RAM for the R5 2400G is 2933MHz.
Does the RAM runs at 2933MHz?

Make sure to update your BIOS up to 5.80 version.
After updating the BIOS reboot the PC a couple of times.
See if your motherboard picks the setting automatically otherwise it most be entered manually.
To run at 3200MHz these are the timings and voltage of that RAM kit.
16-18-18-36
1.35v

If you don't know, how to enter them manually, I will give you some steps.

Last edited:

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
The max supported (JEDEC) RAM for the R5 2400G is 2933MHz.
Does the RAM runs at 2933MHz?

Make sure to update your BIOS up to 5.80 version.
After updating the BIOS reboot the PC a couple of times.
See if your motherboard picks the setting automatically otherwise it most be entered manually.
To run at 3200MHz these are the timings and voltage of that RAM kit.
16-18-18-36
1.35v

If you don't know, how to enter them manually, I will give you some steps.
Everything is set at that. It still crashes. Ive tried setting voltage to auto as well and it still doesn't work. Bf1 crashes when i try to load into a online match and prison architect will crash after about 20 mins.

Does the crash happens if you bring the RAM to 2666MHz?

When you select XMP 1 profile it will show the RAM settings on that profile, but that does not mean they are applied.

Go to OC Tweaker and set these settings manually then click exit to save settings.

Load XMP Setting Auto
DRAM Frequency 3133

DRAM Timing Configuration
Cas# (tCL) 16
RAS# (tRCDRD) 18
RAS# (tRCDWR) 18
Row (tRP) 18
RAS# (tRAS) 36

DRAM Voltage 1.350 (make sure to type it on the right space)
Click Exit
Save Changes and Exit.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Does the crash happens if you bring the RAM to 2666MHz?

When you select XMP 1 profile it will show the RAM settings on that profile, but that does not mean they are applied.

Go to OC Tweaker and set these settings manually then click exit to save settings.

Load XMP Setting Auto
DRAM Frequency 3133

DRAM Timing Configuration
Cas# (tCL) 16
RAS# (tRCDRD) 18
RAS# (tRCDWR) 18
Row (tRP) 18
RAS# (tRAS) 36

DRAM Voltage 1.350 (make sure to type it on the right space)
Click Exit
Save Changes and Exit.
I havent been able to get it to go above 2133 when manually setting everything. I havent tried everything though. As for the xmp and the others I have tried all that and still get game crashes. I have been getting memory management errors more frequently now but when running extended windows mem test for 3 passes it says no hardware errors detected.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Reset CMOS to default settings.
On which slots did you installed the RAM modules?
Could you post a picture of the BIOS OC Tweaker page?
How does one reset cmos? I dont wanna loose data on there. I have it in a2 and b2. Thats the only way i was able to get xmp to run at 3200. Ill post a picture later today of the oc tweeker page.

How does one reset cmos? I dont wanna loose data on there. I have it in a2 and b2. Thats the only way i was able to get xmp to run at 3200. Ill post a picture later today of the oc tweeker page.
Resetting CMOS will return BIOS to default settings.

You could either remove the CMOS battery or place a jumper cap (short) pin1 and pin2 on CLRMOS1 jumper. That will clear the data in CMOS.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
For that corsair RAM to work @ 3200MHz without issues on the ASRock AB350m pro 4, you will have to manually set voltage (1.35v) in the BIOS.
You might also need to set timings manually.
This is your solution most likely, I had high-load games like Battlefield & GTA V crash to desktop after upgrading my RAM. the XMP profiles weren't stable so I had to set the frequency and voltage manually. A quick search of your motherboard bios settings should give you a tutorial on how to adjust that :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What other errors related to memory were you getting?
I find it unlikely that 2 different RAM module packs are faulty. Remember when you are seeing memory_management errors, that doesn't directly mean your RAM is a problem, as you can get memory management errors from faulty drivers.

That and memory comes in two forms, Physical and Virtual, the virtual memory is on your storage drive, so you can still have tons of memory management errors when its the storage drive thats faulty for example.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
What other errors related to memory were you getting?
I find it unlikely that 2 different RAM module packs are faulty. Remember when you are seeing memory_management errors, that doesn't directly mean your RAM is a problem, as you can get memory management errors from faulty drivers.

That and memory comes in two forms, Physical and Virtual, the virtual memory is on your storage drive, so you can still have tons of memory management errors when its the storage drive thats faulty for example.
the main one was memory management errors. Those i would get like every 45 mins of computer use. a few others were stop codes, and one was i cant remember the name to but it couldnt find something on the ram or the hdd so it crashed. As for the drive after i reinstalled windows because it couldnt find the files, i ran a chkdsk and both disks came back clean. Im wondering if the motherboard just cant handle it as its technically not on the qvl list. ive done everything i can with drivers as well.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
the main one was memory management errors. Those i would get like every 45 mins of computer use. a few others were stop codes, and one was i cant remember the name to but it couldnt find something on the ram or the hdd so it crashed. As for the drive after i reinstalled windows because it couldnt find the files, i ran a chkdsk and both disks came back clean. Im wondering if the motherboard just cant handle it as its technically not on the qvl list. ive done everything i can with drivers as well.
Has the issue gone away since you clean installed or returned?
QVL is just a guide - not a definitive, it not being on the QVL just means it hasn't been tested.
Presumably you've already covered everything by everyone else above?

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Has the issue gone away since you clean installed or returned?
QVL is just a guide - not a definitive, it not being on the QVL just means it hasn't been tested.
Presumably you've already covered everything by everyone else above?
I actually removed the kit from the system and put a known good set in and its been working great, no errors so far(although games are loading much slower, im not sure why that is) but i havent tried it with the presumably defective kit yet. Before i pulled it their were errors detected on the drives. I dont suppose that could have caused it could it? As for everything above i have tried it. I either can get the voltage to run where it should but dont get 3200 or i get 3200 and cant change voltage.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Before i pulled it their were errors detected on the drives.
The storage drives? it certainly can - as i said memory management can also refer to virtual memory, which is on your storage drive.
In effect, a driver/module goes into Virtual Memory in your storage drive first, then transfers over to a page on the Physical Memory (RAM) - if for whatever reason, the driver misbehaves, or say page addresses on the virtual or physical memory aren't there or don't match, then you can create memory management bug checks.

So it can be anything inbetween.

TRENDING THREADS