[SOLVED] Brand new memory having issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
stick with 1 thread
So i literally just upgraded my computer two days ago with a new kit of ddr4 3200 2x8 gb corsair vengeance lpx. I had a error today with memory management, did memory test and sure enough it says you have hardware problems. Ive contacted corsair to see what I can do but I want others opinions as well. Is the ram defective? I am currently using the system and it runs just fine. Im not sure what is wrong. I tried to increase the voltage a tiny bit to the memory but either my mb or the ram itself doesn't allow it. I just want to know if someone has any tips that i could try before i evidently have to send it back in and get a new kit.

Specs:
MB: asrock ab350m pro 4 mb(ram in slots A2 and B2 running at 3200)
Ram: 2x8 gb corsair vengence lpx ddr4 3200
GPU gtx 1060 6 gb
600w 80plus Bronze psu,
1tb hdd
120gb ssd
5 case fans.

Solution
so if id pop the other kit back in is their a possibility that it could come back? I did nothing different besides turn the system off, unplug the ram, plug in the new ram turn system back on, go into bios and configure xmp to get ram to run at 3200. I dont wanna try to find a new brand and kit but i also dont want to have a corrupt windows file and have to do windows again. I lost all my game files because of this stupid error so not really looking forward to having to restart all my games.
If the other RAM kit is defective it will almost certainly come back. I'm trying to follow the essence of your entire thread so I may be missing something.
But basically if you run memtest on the RAM and it came back with problems, then it...

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
The storage drives? it certainly can - as i said memory management can also refer to virtual memory, which is on your storage drive.
In effect, a driver/module goes into Virtual Memory in your storage drive first, then transfers over to a page on the Physical Memory (RAM) - if for whatever reason, the driver misbehaves, or say page addresses on the virtual or physical memory aren't there or don't match, then you can create memory management bug checks.

So it can be anything inbetween.
so if id pop the other kit back in is their a possibility that it could come back? I did nothing different besides turn the system off, unplug the ram, plug in the new ram turn system back on, go into bios and configure xmp to get ram to run at 3200. I dont wanna try to find a new brand and kit but i also dont want to have a corrupt windows file and have to do windows again. I lost all my game files because of this stupid error so not really looking forward to having to restart all my games.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the other RAM kit is defective it will almost certainly come back. I'm trying to follow the essence of your entire thread so I may be missing something.
But basically if you run memtest on the RAM and it came back with problems, then it likely is just defective and should be RMA'd.

I'm just going through how storage can also be the cause of memory management related issues.

Solution

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
But basically if you run memtest on the RAM and it came back with problems, then it likely is just defective and should be RMA'd.

I'm just going through how storage can also be the cause of memory management related issues.
I can pm you if you want to re run through the whole thing. I ran the built in mem test with windows and it said it had no issues. Ran it in extended mode too. I dont want to plug it back in if its probably going to cause windows errors again. the first kit had problems but this second one according to windows didnt have any hardware problems with it. Its the third time ive had to reinstall windows so im really not looking forward to if i plug it in to have to reinstall a fourth time.

Reactions: PC Tailor

If the memory tester is showing error, it doesn't automatically mean the memory is defective. It could be perfectly fine at lower speeds, timings and voltage that the motherboard is better able to tolerate. A newer bios version can make a set of ram work properly at the rated specs. Trying to use four modules can also cause errors if the voltage isn't increased or timings loosened.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the memory tester is showing error, it doesn't automatically mean the memory is defective. It could be perfectly fine at lower speeds, timings and voltage that the motherboard is better able to tolerate. A newer bios version can make a set of ram work properly at the rated specs. Trying to use four modules can also cause errors if the voltage isn't increased or timings loosened.
Absolutely agreed. Thus why I said "then it likely is just defective and should be RMA'd."

Not saying definitive. I've equally had plenty not due to the RAM actually being defective.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I suppose I could try to update the bios to the latest version and go from there. I tried lowering the voltage to 1.30 and it ended up crashing more.

I suppose I could try to update the bios to the latest version and go from there. I tried lowering the voltage to 1.30 and it ended up crashing more.
Every 3200Mhz kit I have seen so far is rated for 1.35v. Don't lower the voltage much more than .01 if you actually want 3200Mhz, although 1.3v may be fine for 3000Mhz on your kit at CL16. You would want to increase voltage to around 1.36-1.37 at 3200Mhz if you are going for tighter timings like 14-14-14-30 for your kit. I would not try tighter timings until the memory is determined to be faulty and needs to be returned.

What you should do now is first make sure you are on the newest BIOS version. After updating the BIOS if needed, run the memory kit in Memtest86 if you haven done so yet. Set the memory to 2133Mhz with 15-15-15-36 timings and 1.2v. If you get any errors during testing, stop it and return the kit to where you bought it for a replacement or refund.

If you get no errors, increase the speed to 3200Mhz with 16-18-18-38 timings and 1.35v and run Memtest86 again. If you do get errors, try two more times, first with 1.36v and then 1.37v. It will take around 4-6 hours to do the default full 4 pass testing with 2x8GB, so don't waste your time if it doesn't work at 1.37v, just return the kit.

After downloading and running the program to make a bootable USB drive, make sure to set your USB drive to UEFI first boot device in the BIOS boot priority settings. Memtest86 will boot directly to the default 4 pass test and start automatically.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Every 3200Mhz kit I have seen so far is rated for 1.35v. Don't lower the voltage much more than .01 if you actually want 3200Mhz, although 1.3v may be fine for 3000Mhz on your kit at CL16. You would want to increase voltage to around 1.36-1.37 at 3200Mhz if you are going for tighter timings like 14-14-14-30 for your kit. I would not try tighter timings until the memory is determined to be faulty and needs to be returned.

What you should do now is first make sure you are on the newest BIOS version. After updating the BIOS if needed, run the memory kit in Memtest86 if you haven done so yet. Set the memory to 2133Mhz with 15-15-15-36 timings and 1.2v. If you get any errors during testing, stop it and return the kit to where you bought it for a replacement or refund.

If you get no errors, increase the speed to 3200Mhz with 16-18-18-38 timings and 1.35v and run Memtest86 again. If you do get errors, try two more times, first with 1.36v and then 1.37v. It will take around 4-6 hours to do the default full 4 pass testing with 2x8GB, so don't waste your time if it doesn't work at 1.37v, just return the kit.

After downloading and running the program to make a bootable USB drive, make sure to set your USB drive to UEFI first boot device in the BIOS boot priority settings. Memtest86 will boot directly to the default 4 pass test and start automatically.

Sorry it took so long but i finally got to testing the memory with memtest 86, running at 2133 with stock voltage and timings for 2 hours no errors, bumped it up to 3200 and within 30 seconds got over 5k errors reported. Im gonna try one more time with a corsair warranty but if that doesnt work guess ive gotta find a new kit of memory. im just gonna keep using my corsair 2x4 gb kit thats been working for me so far.

TRENDING THREADS