[SOLVED] Brand new motherboard stains on VRM heatsink??

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
Installed new 10900K into new APEX XII motherboard and immediately after I finish putting everything together (prior to first attempt to boot) I notice a significant amount of oily staining between the extended VRM heatsinks around the LGA socket... Attempted to clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol the best I could and I succeeded in removing most of it, but I didn't have time to remove the heatsink itself and examine closely yet because I needed to get back to work. As best I could tell from inspecting the front of the board I didn't notice any bulging or leaking capacitors, but I can't be sure with the heatsinks obstructing my view. So far everything is OK and I see nothing obviously wrong Windows 10 installed and PC behaves normally so far. Should I be more or less worried? Any insights into what this is? Electrolyte fluid, oil from a thermal pad, excess flux, or something else... Photos taken after cleaning with 99% iso
View: https://imgur.com/a/SG0lAF7

Last edited:
Solution
You might want to keep an eye on it. Last time I noticed stains like that was from a leaking capacitor at the top of the VRM area underneath the heatsink and the same was said for a capacitor that burst and leaked from a PSU.

It's things like these that warrant any builder to build outside the case so you can get a 360 Degree view of the parts and then identify anything that's out of the ordinary. It could just be the thermal pads discharging liquid from them due to heat during transit.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to keep an eye on it. Last time I noticed stains like that was from a leaking capacitor at the top of the VRM area underneath the heatsink and the same was said for a capacitor that burst and leaked from a PSU.

It's things like these that warrant any builder to build outside the case so you can get a 360 Degree view of the parts and then identify anything that's out of the ordinary. It could just be the thermal pads discharging liquid from them due to heat during transit.

Solution

weztmarch

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks I hope it's nothing serious because I waited weeks for Amazon to restock and ship when I could have ordered from NewEgg and received it weeks prior. Amazon is now out of stock and won't restock again until September 20th.... This board can be difficult to procure, so I think I'd best return it and try a different retailer

You might want to keep an eye on it.
I am eyeballing it constantly checking for leaks, but I don't have enough table or time to run it outside of the case and I need it to work for the next 10 hours or so before I can examine without the heatsinks.

Last edited: