Brand New MSI GE72 Missing Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulboundpath

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
please help.. im a noob when it comes to things like this i really need a hand, i bought this laptop here not even 2 days ago: see specifications: http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/GE72-2QE-Apache-Pro.html#hero-specification

it says im supposed to have Up to 768GB Super RAID 2 + 1TB HDD 7200rpm
however my pc looks like this: http://imgur.com/SqEuNh7 doesnt look right at all?

first thing i did using it was install windows 10, basically i have hardly even begun installing stuff and im out of space please please help.. my 4 year old far cheaper laptop currently has more space than this new one i dont know whats wrong or how to fix it? imkind of desperate, please any help is most appreciated...

Well looking at it for the Os boot drive the drive before it was formatted would of been about 200 GB in size.
And the data storage drive would of been about 80 GB in size. look in the bios of the laptop it will quote the real size of both the hard drives fitted to the laptop as a second check.

So your right both the drives in size are not even close to what was quoted, basically if it stated the drives were X amount in GB or gigabytes you have been diddled, no two ways about it.

I won`t ask how much you paid for the laptop, but I can tell you the two drives shown in your picture post are about 5 years old.
So t`s not a new system but a second hand one right I assume?
Bought from a private seller of the laptop yes?

If it is new and bought via e-bay or Gumtree, then the private seller has taken the drives that were quoted as the specs of the laptop out and replaced them for smaller drives.

Double check the specs of the laptop, by getting its brand name and the model number located on the underside of the laptop on a sticker. Ah you already did, Good job there !

Then google it for the true specs, it will include the size of the hard drives that came with it in the specifications listings when bought from a shop, or argos ect as an example.

If it does quote and match on the hard drives included in the laptop.
The two hard drives in the capacity as part of the specs of the laptop.

Then seller has pulled a fast one on you!.

knowingly he replaced both the drives for smaller capacity ones.

Likely keeping the original drives for his own use, hoping you would not notice.

Get your money back in such a case. it`s false advertising.
Or a dishonest seller. Done with purpose intent.

If you bought it very cheap, from say cough an not very well known person, things falling of lorries ect.
Then the answer is also pretty clear you have been taken for a ride.
And the laptop was likely dare I say it ! Light fingered from some other poor soul, who`s property it was.
That sort of explains it if the case. Because if the original hard drives were password locked, then it would explain why the drive sizes are not as quoted in the specs for the laptop, don`t match on your laptop.
It`s an Indicator it may be a stolen laptop, as much as a dishonest seller of it to you.

If bought new something is seriously dodgy about the seller of the laptop.
hope you get it sorted or your money back anyway !

Peace.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

But the user did say he installed Windows 10... so I'm thinking he might have created a new smaller partition... that's why you need to post that screenshot of Disk Management...

The easy way to check the total physical drive size in windows is to take note of both the hard drive letter assignments.
from C: to Z:. Load windows, power up laptop.

Next click on start in windows, and in the search box type this : Disk man.
from the search results select format and create drive partitions.

A window will open showing all of the hard drives connected to the laptop.
If you scroll down it will tell you the overall size in capacity of each drive, and if it has or contains more than one partition on the same hard drive.

If you can post a screen shot with that window open, I can tell you if there is a mistake in the way the drives were setup.
Or as said if the drives are indeed not what are quoted in the laptop specs you looked at ok.
Meaning the original quoted drives and there capacity have been replaced for smaller drives in capacity.
If the case then I would get straight back to the person ect who sold the laptop to you ok.

soulboundpath

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

http://imgur.com/Ninhu1u here is a picture of disk manegement i think, and no this is a brand new laptop i paid, the amount shown on the site in danish currency, i bought it as i said this week

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
According to that photo... you have a single 240GB hard drive with 6 partitions on it. You need to check your receipt. According to the description/link you provided... it could be interpreted (where it says UP TOO) as those other drives being optional upgrades.

After doing more thinking... you provided the link to the Official MSI website... Did you order it directly from the manufacturer... OR... did you order or buy from a retail store? If you went through a different party... then you need to look at their description because it may be different than what's on the MSI website.

One more thing... you wrote that you installed Windows 10... Why... I thought it came with Windows 10 already? What was the O/S on it when you got it?

1shado1

Distinguished

There is more than one version of the GE72 2QE, and the manufacturer's webpage which you linked to includes the possible variations in hardware between the different versions in one page. If you'll note, the page shows 3 different possible CPUs, for example. And when it says "up to 768GB SuperRaid 2 + 1TB HDD 7200RPM", it doesn't necessarily mean that your model HAS THAT CONFIGURATION. It may have 0, 1, 2, or 3 SSDs, totalling up to 768GB, or it may just have the 1TB 7200RPM HDD instead, or a combination of the two. Same with the Blu-ray drive/DVD drive. Some have Blu-ray, some have just a regular DVD drive.

I'm guessing that your model only came with 1 256GB SSD (not a 240GB SSD as someone else mentioned). A 256GB unformatted drive comes out to about 240GB after formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.