Question Brand new PC build getting mysterious BSODs, running out of things to try and need help

Jul 3, 2022
For the past week, my new PC build has been unstable and I am unsure what could be the cause.

Build:
CPU: i7-12700k Alder Lake 3.6GHz LGA 1700
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Vision OC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X LGA 1700 DDR5
Memory: Gigabyte AORUS 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5 5200
Storage: 2 TB 970 EVO M.2 NVMe & 1 TB 860 EVO SATA
PSU: SuperNOVA 1000 GT 80 Plus Gold 1000W
Case: Rosewill Prism S500

https://files.catbox.moe/qmqrbd.zip minidump files for 3 crashes are here.

The two main codes I get on BSOD are PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I do not always get a successful minidump file created, and I lost some previous files when reinstalling windows, so these are the only ones I have available right now.
The BSODs so far have been fairly random, I can go many hours in Minecraft with videos on in the background and it will just crash out of nowhere, I also had a crash when installing games on steam, but never saw it crash when it was just idle. I see one or two crashes a night, pretty sporadically.

From these error codes I've seen that it can often be due to memory or storage issues. I've run CHKDSK, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, and MemTest86, nothing came back with errors. In bios I have flashed the latest update after seeing crashes occur (updated from F4 to F7), didn't appear to change anything. I have tried XMP on and off, nothing noteworthy. Wiping my drives and reinstalling windows didn't help. I've been installing the latest drivers for my video card and all of the recommended drivers on the support section for my motherboard on the gigabyte website. I've used OCCT to test for stability using all of their available tests and didn't see any issues running all of their tests for a short duration.

Can anyone provide some guidance as to something obvious I may be missing, or other things to consider trying for stability?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

reinstalling windows didn't help
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

You might want to first try and update the BIOS to the other two versions for your motherboard. Check to see if you have any further updates for your OS, then finally use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually install the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator(after sourcing the driver from Nvidia's support site. I would also advise on making sure your SSD's are on the latest firmware versions(courtesy of Samsung's Magician app).

Jul 3, 2022
Thanks!

My windows installation initially came from the microsoft site for creating USB boot media, when I reinstalled windows I used the "Reset this PC" function and had it redownload windows rather than use an already downloaded copy.

I have checked repeatedly and not had any further OS updates.

Samsung magician confirmed both drives were on the latest firmware.

I will try reinstalling my video drivers with DDU and try the other versions of the BIOS and see if I have any luck.

looking at the most recent bugcheck: looks like a driver corrupted memory.

I would download and run autoruns64 from here:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
then find the menu option to hide microsoft entries.
then find this driver and delete the entry:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AppleCharger.sys Sun Oct 27 18:59:21 2013
(just a guess based on the installed drivers, this driver is used to override the usb specifications for power on the usb bus so you can charge apple devices at a faster rate on your pc)

looks like all of the bugchecks have the same root cause.
driver corruption of memory. looks like a pool header was written rather than a pointer to a pool header.
remove the applecharger driver and see if you still get the bugcheck.

Last edited:
just a heads up:
people often have problems with this driver since you are expected to update it manually:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\gdrv3.sys Fri Nov 5 01:35:11 2021
(graphics overclock driver from motherboard vendor)

This driver is a malware target since a hacker published a how to hack windows if this driver is installed:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MsIo64.sys Sun Jan 19 19:35:15 2020