[SOLVED] Brand new pc build powers on with fans, radiator, leds etc, but no signal on monitor and DRAM qled light is on (amber). All specs included.

Jan 5, 2021
ASUS 550f gaming (no wifi)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Dark Za 32GB (2x16) 3600 ddr4
Coolermaster 240L liquid cooler /radiator
ssd: 970 evo plus nvme
case: fractal define vision s2

After several unsuccessful boot attempts (fans and leds on mobo power on, but no signal to monitor and dram qled light on amber on mobo), I removed my GPU (3070 ventus 3x) just to eliminate it as a possibility. HDMI is now running from the mobo to monitor.

Before doing anything, I flashed the bios using the button on the back and a USB with the latest bios from asus, and it appeared to work (blinking green bios flash led in top left of mobo that sped up then stopped when it finished, which is what the manual says happens).
I've pulled out one of the RAM sticks and tried the other one in all slots. Tried both sticks. Same issue. RAM clicks in and is properly seated as far as I can tell.

I've since cleared CMOS and removed battery to restore to original bios from the box (which in hindsight probably would've supported my 5800x. (mobo number ends in 1004).

Is it bad ram sticks or bad mobo maybe? I have new ram coming on 1/7 to check.
Any thoughts? Anyone know what is likely cause or what else I should try?

Solution
I'll keep this in mind but won't be able to try that for a bit, perhaps lend to a friend. Is your sense that the "dram" error light being on is something less critical? That it should be able to post even with something going on there, and that the no signal should be a gpu issue?
Dram light is an issue yes but on some motherboards its just a bios issue that has no effect, for example my PC works fine yet the CPU led is always on no matter what since my last bios update. I was just getting at some very basic troubleshooting tasks since we’re waiting on your new ram to come in
Jan 5, 2021
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

After several unsuccessful boot attempts (fans and leds on mobo power on, but no signal to monitor and dram qled light on amber on mobo), I removed my GPU (3070 ventus 3x) just to eliminate it as a possibility. HDMI is now running from the mobo to monitor.

Before doing anything, I flashed the bios using the button on the back and a USB with the latest bios from asus, and it appeared to work (blinking green bios flash led in top left of mobo that sped up then stopped when it finished, which is what the manual says happens).
I've pulled out one of the RAM sticks and tried the other one in all slots. Tried both sticks. Same issue. RAM clicks in and is properly seated as far as I can tell.

I've since cleared CMOS and removed battery to restore to original bios from the box (which in hindsight probably would've supported my 5800x. (mobo number ends in 1004).

Is it bad ram sticks or bad mobo maybe? I have new ram coming on 1/7 to check.
Any thoughts? Anyone know what is likely cause or what else I should try?
I forgot to mention PSU is a Corsair RM750

I don't believe clearing CMOS and removing the battery restores the original BIOS. Clearing CMOS just restores the default settings within the BIOS. Your BIOS version is still likely the version ('latest') you installed.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

To be clear, are you saying your PC works okay as long as you don't have your 3070 installed?

Jan 5, 2021
You wont get a signal because your cpu doesnt have integrated graphics, that won’t work. Did you try with the hdmi to your GPU after you updated the bios?
OK, I thought the motherboard had onboard graphics or something (but still learning here). So regardless of whether the b550f supports onboard graphics, the ryzen here requires that I have the 3070 installed in order to get signal to the screen?

Jan 5, 2021
If this matters, technically what I'm getting on the screen is just a black screen. When the PC is powered off monitor says "Check signal cable." When I hit the power button (and the fans start up etc), the monitor is pitch black, no text or bios or anything showing up.

Jan 5, 2021
Install gpu and plug your hdmi into it
OK I did this just now, and I've got the same situation. Monitor goes from "check signal cable" when pc is powered off to pure black screen when i hit power on, which looks to me like no signal.

Fans are all on. Cooler is powered on and radiator fans are running. Mobo light is on (the rog strix logo in rgb and the DRAM qled is on). 3070's fans are blowing so it has power.

johnsoner13

Respectable
OK I did this just now, and I've got the same situation. Monitor goes from "check signal cable" when pc is powered off to pure black screen when i hit power on, which looks to me like no signal.

Fans are all on. Cooler is powered on and radiator fans are running. Mobo light is on (the rog strix logo in rgb and the DRAM qled is on). 3070's fans are blowing so it has power.
Tried with different HDMI cable? Made sure HDMI is selected on your monitor? Test gpu in a different system if possible?

Jan 5, 2021
Tried with different HDMI cable? Made sure HDMI is selected on your monitor? Test gpu in a different system if possible?
I'll keep this in mind but won't be able to try that for a bit, perhaps lend to a friend. Is your sense that the "dram" error light being on is something less critical? That it should be able to post even with something going on there, and that the no signal should be a gpu issue?

Jan 5, 2021
Is your RAM in your motherboard's QVL for your CPU?
Yea it appears to be. At first I thought maybe it wasn't and that was my answer, but the QVL had the TeamGroup stuff as two different vendors for some reason.

TDZAD432G3600HC18JDC01 shows up under "TEAM" vendor, so I think it's compatible unfortunately. Was hoping this was the easy fix, and I do have some new RAM on the way to check

johnsoner13

Respectable
Dram light is an issue yes but on some motherboards its just a bios issue that has no effect, for example my PC works fine yet the CPU led is always on no matter what since my last bios update. I was just getting at some very basic troubleshooting tasks since we’re waiting on your new ram to come in

Solution
Jan 5, 2021
Thanks.
OK, my fear I suppose is that if I were to remove the cooler (something I don't want to do) I would find that I messed up the cpu when installing it. Or less problematic, but still a hastle, that I just have a bad mobo in general.

Jan 5, 2021
Yesterday same situation happened to my friend with B550M and R5 5600X.
What we did was just updating the BIOS with the special USB port and BIOS key on motherboard. You can search on Youtube for the application of that process.

You just need to download the latest version (not beta) and run the exe file inside the folder. Don't forget to give electricity to the pc but don't run it before updating BIOS. Then put that CAP file into the empty flash disk. Then as I said put that disk inside the white coloured USB port of motherboard. Then push the BIOS key for 2-3 seconds until the BIOS LED flashes. Wait for BIOS LED to turn off completely. Then run your completed pc.

Last edited: