Jun 21, 2019
Got a brand new HP Pavilion Laptop with i5-9300 quad core @ 2.40 ghz, 16gb ram, nvidia 1650 gpu, 512 ssd.

After playing fornite for a bit i noticed it started to use over 90% of the available cpu usage and it caused the game to start lagging really often.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Sounds about right, Fortnite uses 4 cores at over 80% and 2 more cores at 50% on my 12 core desktop. That's using up most of 6 of my real cores. Since your processor is 4 cores and 8 threads, you're fully using your real cores and dipping into your hyperthreads. 90% sounds about right.

My suggestion is to lower your graphics and set the frame rate limiter in fortnite to 90 or 120fps.
Sounds about right, Fortnite uses 4 cores at over 80% and 2 more cores at 50% on my 12 core desktop. That's using up most of 6 of my real cores. Since your processor is 4 cores and 8 threads, you're fully using your real cores and dipping into your hyperthreads. 90% sounds about right.

My suggestion is to lower your graphics and set the frame rate limiter in fortnite to 90 or 120fps.

Solution