Brand new PC freezes after exiting game?

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I just built a custom PC with an Asus Z87 Pro motherboard and an Nvidia Asus GeForce GTX 770 graphics card. Everything seemed to be running flawlessly at first, but today as I've been playing Battlefield 4, my computer has frozen inexplicably about a minute after exiting the game. It has done this multiple times.

Everything seems fine after exiting and then randomly my screen blanks to black as if the monitor is no longer detected, and my PC stops detecting any input (the power button won't sleep the PC as it usually does, for example) so I end up having to press the reset button.

I have windows 8.1 and I have tried to make sure my drivers are all up to date. Any ideas what could be going on? I'll have to test more with other games, but so far I have only noticed the issue after Battlefield 4, in which case I'd assume it's some sort of issue with the game.

Edit: Not just Battlefield 4. Happened after exiting Hawken as well. What on earth could be causing this?

Solution

Hey, I fixed the issue. What I did to fix it is this:

1) Download new bios for your graphics card here. Make sure to pick the right brand and model:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

2) Download NVFlash from here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2258/nvflash-5-142-for-windows/

3) drag the bios file you downloaded in step 1 over the nvflash application you downloaded in step 2 and let go. It will load it into the program, you press "y" for yes, and the bios gets updated. Note that updating your video card bios can be dangerous and leave you with a bricked card if you don't let it finish. I doubt you'll have any issues with this, it is a...

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
8GB ram, no tweaking of any sort, 3D performance is great. In fact, I have been able to isolate the issue further. It only seems to happen with Battlefield 4, so I think it must be some corrupted files.

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

1) Download new bios for your graphics card here. Make sure to pick the right brand and model:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2258/nvflash-5-142-for-windows/

3) drag the bios file you downloaded in step 1 over the nvflash application you downloaded in step 2 and let go. It will load it into the program, you press "y" for yes, and the bios gets updated. Note that updating your video card bios can be dangerous and leave you with a bricked card if you don't let it finish. I doubt you'll have any issues with this, it is a very quick process, but I had to throw in that disclaimer just so you know that it CAN be dangerous.

That should fix your issues, but if it doesn't, reinstall windows and don't install any programs or drivers except for the bare minimum, then see if the issue still persists. I personally reinstalled windows on my machine, but I don't know if this was necessary. The bios update may have been all that was necessary. Hope this solution works for you!

Solution

incapability

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

UPDATE: I can now confirm that this does indeed work. I used the utility associated with my card to flash the GPU firmware, and I haven't had any trouble since. I also updated my BIOS and SSD firmware just to be sure, and at least one of these worked.

Thanks!

AdaAC

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

3 years later haha, I have the same issue, I followed this, however when I drag it into the program, it doesnt ask to hit Y, it just closes itself. What to do, did it do its thing?

rcheulishvil

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019

3) drag the bios file you downloaded in step 1 over the nvflash application you downloaded in step 2 and let go. It will load it into the program, you press "y" for yes, and the bios gets updated. Note that updating your video card bios can be dangerous and leave you with a bricked card if you don't let it finish. I doubt you'll have any issues with this, it is a very quick process, but I had to throw in that disclaimer just so you know that it CAN be dangerous.

That should fix your issues, but if it doesn't, reinstall windows and don't install any programs or drivers except for the bare minimum, then see if the issue still persists. I personally reinstalled windows on my machine, but I don't know if this was necessary. The bios update may have been all that was necessary. Hope this solution works for you!

hey, I have rx 580, what should I download to flash it?