[SOLVED] Brand new pc freezing (3800x + 5700 xt)

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Hello guys, i’ve build a computer for a friend last week with this setup:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ryzen 3800x + Hyper 212 Turbo
HyperX Fury 16gb (2x8) 3000mhz cl15
MSI RX 5700 XT Evoque
Corsair 650W 80 Plus White VS650

But we are having some problems... When playing csgo, the screen freezes for about 4 seconds and then unfreezes, and the game runs without any problems... That happens about 3/4 times in one hour... I’ve already switched the ram and keeps getting the freeze... Temps are OK, cpu keeps bellow 75c and gpu 70c on furmark stress test.. brand new windows installation and latest os updates.. xmp enabled... everything updated (bios, drivers, etc)... Already tried re-installing windows and nothing... I think it is a mobo or psu problem... what do you guys think? please someone help me!! thanks!!

Solution
i think i will go with the XPG (unfortunately, the rm650 is out of stock) but i’ve read 2 or 3 reviews and they say the XPG is a good and stable high end psu.

but do you think it could be the mobo tho? i know that b450 isn’t the best in terms of vrm and cooling (he will upgrade to a x570 later) but it can handle a 3800x (w/o oc) right? on furmak stress test, the cpu clocks to 4.2ghz all core and its stable.. i think this is the expected boost.. tomorrow i will measure the vrm temperature just to be safe.. thanks for your help and time!!

I would say that it's definitely not the motherboard, it's more likely the power supply. I have a rig with a B450 motherboard and a Ryzen 2600 and the temperatures most likely wouldn't make a...

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
No, pay the extra money and get the RX, or get something like an EVGA G3 or Seasonic Focus / Prime. The latest AMD cards require solid power delivery and it's well worth the extra money for a quality PSU.
here in my local store does not have these power suppliers... but have this one: XPG Core Reactor 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular

This is a good choice? if it is, i will buy now!

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Not sure I'm familiar with that brand. What store are you buying from?
im from brazil, and im buying in this store: https://www.kabum.com.br/hardware/fontes

can you look at the site and tell me what psu to buy? its already on power supply page.. if u can do that for me, i would be grateful.. but ive looked at reviews and they say the XPG its a good power supply.. but i want to be sure..

g-unit1111

Titan
im from brazil, and im buying in this store: https://www.kabum.com.br/hardware/fontes

can you look at the site and tell me what psu to buy? its already on power supply page.. if u can do that for me, i would be grateful.. but ive looked at reviews and they say the XPG its a good power supply.. but i want to be sure..

Yeah don't always read too much into the store reviews because most of the time they often highly rate terrible products while discounting good ones.

That said I would get something like this:

https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/75067/fonte-corsair-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-rm650x-cp-9020178-ww

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Yeah don't always read too much into the store reviews because most of the time they often highly rate terrible products while discounting good ones.

That said I would get something like this:

https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/75067/fonte-corsair-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-rm650x-cp-9020178-ww
i think i will go with the XPG (unfortunately, the rm650 is out of stock) but i’ve read 2 or 3 reviews and they say the XPG is a good and stable high end psu.

but do you think it could be the mobo tho? i know that b450 isn’t the best in terms of vrm and cooling (he will upgrade to a x570 later) but it can handle a 3800x (w/o oc) right? on furmak stress test, the cpu clocks to 4.2ghz all core and its stable.. i think this is the expected boost.. tomorrow i will measure the vrm temperature just to be safe.. thanks for your help and time!!

g-unit1111

Titan

I would say that it's definitely not the motherboard, it's more likely the power supply. I have a rig with a B450 motherboard and a Ryzen 2600 and the temperatures most likely wouldn't make a difference in overall system effectiveness. What a system like that really needs is a solid, steady stream of power in order to get the highest overclock and make the most of your system's resources. Which is why 99% of the time here we always recommend getting the best PSU for your money that you can possibly get.

Solution

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
the new psu fixed the problem!! thanks guys for the help! can you guys explain me what the difference between the VS650 and the RM650? it’s the certificate? what makes a psu high end and low end? (i’ve bought the xpg, but want to compare these two because they are the same brand)

thanks again!! very appreciate!!

the new psu fixed the problem!! thanks guys for the help! can you guys explain me what the difference between the VS650 and the RM650? it’s the certificate? what makes a psu high end and low end? (i’ve bought the xpg, but want to compare these two because they are the same brand)

thanks again!! very appreciate!!

There are so many posts regarding psu quality that it's pointless going into it here.

You're mistaken (and also correct) in stating that both those psu's are the same brand.

They're branded/badged by corsair but corsair do not make their own psu's, the innards are from 2 entirely different companies using entirely different components.

Google reviews on the two and you will find a mine of information regarding this.

Reactions: rgd1101

jkrm

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
There are so many posts regarding psu quality that it's pointless going into it here.

You're mistaken (and also correct) in stating that both those psu's are the same brand.

They're branded/badged by corsair but corsair do not make their own psu's, the innards are from 2 entirely different companies using entirely different components.

Google reviews on the two and you will find a mine of information regarding this.
ok! thanks again to you and g-unit1111 for the help!