[SOLVED] brand new pc getting slow internet speeds help

Aug 4, 2020
so I got my first new gaming pc today and my internet download speeds from searching online say around 80mb/s when downloading anything im max getting 10mb/s but when downloading over wifi on my xbox or ps4 I get 70-100mb/s anyway of solving this?

Solution
This thread is a bit confusing, OP, as you're giving the data in sloppy fashion, enough that it makes this question unanswerable as written. Some of the things you quote normally give data in Mbps and some of them give data in MBps, but you use "mbps" instead, which doesn't differentiate. These are very different numbers -- there are eight bits in a byte -- so knowing which you're using in each case is crucial. For example, Steam gives download speeds in bytes, not bits while your ISP advertises speeds in bits, not bytes. With eight bits in a byte, this is extremely important; a connection that's 100 Mbps is only 12.5 MBps.
Jul 30, 2020
This is normally an issue with the wireless adapter itself or that the correct drivers for the adapter need installing. Are you using an adapter or does the computer have wifi built in?

Jul 31, 2020
First of all, when you ask for help it is much better if you state what your platform is. i.e., operating system (O/S), CPU, and amount of memory.

If you have Windows 10, that O/S at least used to have Defender examine every byte of downloaded Zip files looking for viruses. This takes time, and especially if you have a small amount of memory (e.g., < 16 GB) can cause considerable thrashing as Defender and the downloading program contend for memory.

Aug 4, 2020
This is normally an issue with the wireless adapter itself or that the correct drivers for the adapter need installing. Are you using an adapter or does the computer have wifi built in?

My PC is connected via an ethernet as the wifi adapter was only getting 4mb/s over ethernet it is only getting 10mb/s. just confused as to why my pc is downloading at 10mb/s over ethernet, yet xbox is downloading at 70mb/s plus over wifi.

Aug 4, 2020
Do you know which ethernet port it is ie. Intel or realtek? Try to ensure that you have the correct drivers installed

is this what you mean apologise in advance if its wrong im currently checking for driver updates
Product Type Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

EDIT
under my device manager I also have Realtek under network check all of them everything is upto date driver wise

Jul 30, 2020
No that's the correct device no need to apologise 👍 once you have ensured the correct and most up to date drivers are installed, try again. If your speed is still low then we may have to look at your adapter properties page. Please also try downloading from multiple different sites/sources as download speeds can vary greatly depending on the speed of the connection at the other end. One site may only let your download speed reach 10mbps,another may reach 200mbps.

Aug 4, 2020
No that's the correct device no need to apologise 👍 once you have ensured the correct and most up to date drivers are installed, try again. If your speed is still low then we may have to look at your adapter properties page. Please also try downloading from multiple different sites/sources as download speeds can vary greatly depending on the speed of the connection at the other end. One site may only let your download speed reach 10mbps,another may reach 200mbps.

ok so checked the adapter properties everything seems fine. steam client speed is 14mb/s battlenet 10mb/s epic and origin 8mb/s xbox app for my games on game pass 15mb/s downloaded something from the a safe website on the internet 82mb/s. I am so confused is there a way to increase the download speeds? I just did a test run streaming on twitch at 1080p 60fps and was smooth and fine ( yay ) but the waiting for games to download that are 10gb is annoying when I download 100gb game over wifi on the xbox in almost half the time for a 10gb on the pc

Jul 30, 2020
It does seem strange. I have a 78mbps connection and steam fully uses all 78mbps when I am downloading games. Check in steam settings-downloads and make sure that your download speed is set to unlimited.

Jul 30, 2020
It should definitely be hitting max speed on Microsoft store, steam or any other client. The fact that you have reached download speed of over 80mbps on a website shows there is no problem with the hardware at all. It is a configuration issue. Which antivirus do you use?

Aug 4, 2020
It should definitely be hitting max speed on Microsoft store, steam or any other client. The fact that you have reached download speed of over 80mbps on a website shows there is no problem with the hardware at all. It is a configuration issue. Which antivirus do you use?

checked steam and its on no limit, real head scratcher this tbh haha and atm AVG

DSzymborski

Titan
This thread is a bit confusing, OP, as you're giving the data in sloppy fashion, enough that it makes this question unanswerable as written. Some of the things you quote normally give data in Mbps and some of them give data in MBps, but you use "mbps" instead, which doesn't differentiate. These are very different numbers -- there are eight bits in a byte -- so knowing which you're using in each case is crucial. For example, Steam gives download speeds in bytes, not bits while your ISP advertises speeds in bits, not bytes. With eight bits in a byte, this is extremely important; a connection that's 100 Mbps is only 12.5 MBps.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 4, 2020

i am sorry im new to this whole thing forums the lot, as i usually play console, how ever i have now since discovered the issue! that being all my game clients them selves where running from a server in germany and not within the uk closer to m actual location. thank you for that info ill remember it if i have issues in the future. since change my regions with my game clients i now download at the correct speed using the calculation you have put up before i did that it wasnt half of it.

thank you very much anyway.