Question Brand new PC stopped working after 2 days after minor changes, GPU not detected by Motherboard

Nov 7, 2020
Hi guys,

I built a brand new PC with the following components:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3000 Kit
MSI B450-A PRO MAX
Zotac RTX 3070
Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 Watt
I also have a 500 GB SSD M.2 and a 2TB Seagate SATA HDD connected

The PC worked for all of 2 days until I decided to move the Seagate HDD from one position to another, for which I unplugged it and plugged it back in after moving it. After that the PC will not boot anymore, and no signal is given to the Monitor. After opening it up and trying another boot I discovered that the VGA LED on the motherboard is glowing white after the initial startup sequence, indicating a problem with the GPU, or that it is not detected. The fans on the 3070, which afaik are supposed to spin full speed for a few seconds on startup, only judder a tiny bit until stopping again.

My troubleshooting so far has been:

• Checking all the power cables (they are all plugged in correctly)
  • Resetting the GPU multiple times (no effect)
  • Taking out a RAM stick (no effect)
  • Taking out and resetting the motherboard battery.
  • Reconnecting all power cables and seeing if anything changes (it didn't)

The problems indicates either that the GPU is busted, that the PSU suddenly doesn't offer enough power anymore, or that the PCIe Slot isn't functioning correctly. Unfortunately I can't check if the second slot works since there is not enough space to change the GPU if it's inside the case.

Now the very stupid propable reason these problems is that I ordered a Mikro ATX case for this board, which naturally would not fit out of the box, and instead of waiting for a new case I decided to modify the case in a way that would make it fit. I managed to do this, but in the end only 4 of the distancing sockets connected to the case, which made the constructing pretty flexible and flimsy. Ultimately I suspect that I damaged the PCIe slot or the mainborard as such, because there was some loud clicks when I tried resetting the GPU and everything moved a bit too much for comfort. The CPU and other components seem to be working as far as I can tell, so the motherboard is not completely busted. The other option is that the GPU is broken, but I don't know why this would have happened.

In any case, before I start replacing components which will cost more money and take some time, I was wondering if anybody had any other idea what I could try. I'm hoping that despite the odds I can fix it, so I'm thankful for any feedback.

Nov 7, 2020
Try assembling the PC outside the case on a non-conductive surface.

Hi, I tried this, still won't boot further than the VGA LED lighting up. I tried setting the GPU onto the second PCIe Slot, no dice. I checked the motherboard for obvious defects and noticed that one of the "Case standoff keep out zone" areas marked on the board there are some scratches...from a lone standout that was set exactly there. This is pretty much between the PCIe slots, so maybe the slots are broken?

Unfortunately it seems I can't rule out that the GPU is also fried, which would suck as it's expensive and out of stock anywhere in any case.

Hi, I tried this, still won't boot further than the VGA LED lighting up. I tried setting the GPU onto the second PCIe Slot, no dice. I checked the motherboard for obvious defects and noticed that one of the "Case standoff keep out zone" areas marked on the board there are some scratches...from a lone standout that was set exactly there. This is pretty much between the PCIe slots, so maybe the slots are broken?

Unfortunately it seems I can't rule out that the GPU is also fried, which would suck as it's expensive and out of stock anywhere in any case.
Yup. I'd wager you ruined the motherboard.

Nov 7, 2020
Hi people,

This morning I decided to breadbox it one more time just be 100 percent sure. Somehow it started running again, I would not be able to even guess what the problem was. The single thing I changed was disconnecting the second hdmi cable from my monitor and using only the main one.

Now I'm gonna wait for the correct case to arrive and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy me new PC.