[SOLVED] Brand new PC with constant game black screen / CTD / reboot / disk repair ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2021
Hi all,

I just got a new custom made PC (not-pre-build), with a highly reputable PC builder in my country. All new components (except for some old SSD and HDD).

Ever since getting it most my games crash, at random times. PC does not crashes if not gaming.

The sequence is: Gaming => black screen => CTD => reboot Win 11 => disk repair => Win 11 back running again. No color artefacts are shown. No overheating. CPU/GPU temps below 70ºc when in high power.

The set up is:
  • Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS
  • 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11700F 2.5-4.9GHz (most of the time stable at 4.4Ghz)
  • 360mm Alseye liquid cooler, custom made with 6 fans-in (push and pull radiator), 3 fans-out
  • Asus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB @ 1837 MHz
  • RAM G.Skill Trident 2x 16MB = 32768 MB Dual Channel 3600Mhz
  • 700W PSU EVGA 700 BR 80 Plus Bronze
  • Storage M.2 new: 1TB (with Win 11 Pro on it) + HDD new: 2TB + HDD 5y/o: 2TB + M.2 5y/o: 275GB + SSD 5y/o: 250GB
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • CL500 DeepCool case
  • Single LG´s 25UM58G UltraWide 21:9 Monitor, 25'' LED IPS 1ms 75hz Full HD 2560x1080
  • Mouse, keyboard and a few flight sim related peripherals, all USB connected
Note: I have connected, although not using, three external HDD (4tb + 2tb + 2tb), not listed above, when the crashes happened.

Gaming tests:
  • Elite Dangerous Odyssey, installed at "SSD 5y/o: 250GB" (several crashes so far)
  • MS Flight Simulator 2020, installed at "HDD new: 2TB" (several crashes so far)
  • X-Plane 11, installed at "M.2 new: 1TB" (no crashes before, now crashing too)
  • No other crashes so far, if not gaming with Elite Dangerous or MS Flight Simulator 2020
CPU-Z validator: Intel Core i7 11700 @ 4408.15 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr)
UserBenchmark: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS Performance Results - UserBenchmark

I would really appreciate any ideas you could share about these constant CDT. Really, greatly appreciated. Thank you

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
I have just downloaded and run WhoCrashed freeware. I got this report below from it. I have the latest driver from Nvidia. Not sure what to do...

It also says VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BugCheck Code 0x116

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed
. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

EXAMPLE:

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 20 Nov 2021 19:20:44 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112021-16031-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80557806368)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF858CDCCDC010, 0xFFFFF80557806368, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_b7184c0e1c94c102\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Nov 19, 2021
Sounds like a potential memory issue. Are you running xmp profiles? I would run memtest86 over it and verify stability. If runing xmp go back to stock memory profiles and see if it stabilizes.

I didn´t do any xmp profiles. but could you tell how to be sure of it? Maybe the PC builder did it and I am not aware of it. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2021
I have just downloaded and run WhoCrashed freeware. I got this report below from it. I have the latest driver from Nvidia. Not sure what to do...

It also says VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BugCheck Code 0x116

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed
. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

EXAMPLE:

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sat 20 Nov 2021 19:20:44 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112021-16031-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80557806368)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF858CDCCDC010, 0xFFFFF80557806368, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_b7184c0e1c94c102\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 496.76 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Because of that, I have taken new measures and will see how it behaves from now on:
  1. Rolled back the Nvidia driver from 496.76 to 472.12, once 472.12 was the one shown at Asus driver´s download page for the Asus RTX 3060 that I own.
  2. Enhanced the GPU´s fans speed/rpm using MSI Afterburner to get better ventillation on it.
  3. Reduced the GPU target temp from 83ºc to 75ºc using GPU Tweak III, aiming to better control the GPU hot spot temp (usually +10ºc above the target temp). That measure was motivated by this post: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...k-screen-while-playing-3080-nvlddmkmsys-erro/
  4. Started a monitoring log file for the GPU using GPU-Z to verify that fans and temps are behaving as intended.
I´ll start new tests today and see how it behaves.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
Because of that, I have taken new measures and will see how it behaves from now on:
  1. Rolled back the Nvidia driver from 496.76 to 472.12, once 472.12 was the one shown at Asus driver´s download page for the Asus RTX 3060 that I own.
  2. Enhanced the GPU´s fans speed/rpm using MSI Afterburner to get better ventillation on it.
  3. Reduced the GPU target temp from 83ºc to 75ºc using GPU Tweak III, aiming to better control the GPU hot spot temp (usually +10ºc above the target temp). That measure was motivated by this post: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...k-screen-while-playing-3080-nvlddmkmsys-erro/
  4. Started a monitoring log file for the GPU using GPU-Z to verify that fans and temps are behaving as intended.
I´ll start new tests today and see how it behaves.
And the black screen of death continues... :-(

jasonf2

Distinguished
I didn´t do any xmp profiles. but could you tell how to be sure of it? Maybe the PC builder did it and I am not aware of it. Thanks.
You will have to go into bios. It will be under the memory configuration. You will want to set to the SPD default profile and see if it stabilizes. XMP is an overclock and while most memory manufactures sell the RAM at advertised overclock speed it isn't guaranteed and sometimes doesn't play nice with all hardware configurations.

Nov 19, 2021
You will have to go into bios. It will be under the memory configuration. You will want to set to the SPD default profile and see if it stabilizes. XMP is an overclock and while most memory manufactures sell the RAM at advertised overclock speed it isn't guaranteed and sometimes doesn't play nice with all hardware configurations.

Thanks. Just did that.
The black screen continues, with or withour XMP set on BIOS.

Nov 19, 2021
I have just used DDU, unistalled all graphic drivers, run a clean install of the latest NVIDIA drivers, and... no luck, same black screen of death while gaming again... so frustating!!!

Should I send the RTX 3060 back to the seller and get it replaced?

Nov 19, 2021
I messaged ASUS about my case, and they´re open for an RMA.
Nonetheless, I have another clue... in the BIOS, I had GEN4 set for my PCI-E. I changed that to GEN-3, and will now check if I can get any good progress. I~ve been reading that this might be the issue affecting my system. I will test and report it back in here. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.