Question brand new Powercolor Red Devil 5700 XT black screens on League of Legends

Jul 1, 2020
Yup you read that right. Just put together my first system and have experienced some massive issues playing even the most minimal-load games and black screening randomly. If I unplug the DP 1.2 and replug it back in, it works fine for another 5-10 minutes then cuts out again. I have reset nearly 15 times, clean installed drivers twice, and checked my cabling for burns and damage to no avail.

I know the 5700 XT driver issue is still rampant but If I can't even play the most basic games, then did I just drop $450 on a paperweight?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

SLICEnICE

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
This sounds like a buzzkill to have, just purchased my 5700XT and installed it yesterday. So far no problems other than the fact that it doesn't completely utilize my gpu power. The black screen issues should of been fixed with the last couple updates, I haven't experienced any. Is it primarily LoL? or does this occur on other games aswell? If you have a freesync monitor try turning that off and see if it still happens. Let me know if you still have problems.

Reactions: princeofhumbug
Jul 1, 2020
This sounds like a buzzkill to have, just purchased my 5700XT and installed it yesterday. So far no problems other than the fact that it doesn't completely utilize my gpu power. The black screen issues should of been fixed with the last couple updates, I haven't experienced any. Is it primarily LoL? or does this occur on other games aswell? If you have a freesync monitor try turning that off and see if it still happens. Let me know if you still have problems.

Yeah its lame having to troubleshoot a product thats brand new out the box. I tried turning off Freesync and it still black screened. Unfortunately its not just LoL but any other game as well as some YouTube videos. I've also noticed some stutters/slight tearing of the screen even when I'm just staring at my desktop background, so I guess thats something else to add to the symptoms list.
I'm going to keep trouble shooting and, unfortunately, if I can't get it to work I'm just going to beg microcenter to let me exchange for an NVIDIA 2070 super and just pay the difference.

On an alt note I know AMD has fixed the majority of the black screen issues but I've also heard that its not a 100% fix and some users may still experience these issues. I guess I was just hoping I wasn't going to be one of them! lol

SLICEnICE

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
Yeah its lame having to troubleshoot a product thats brand new out the box. I tried turning off Freesync and it still black screened. Unfortunately its not just LoL but any other game as well as some YouTube videos. I've also noticed some stutters/slight tearing of the screen even when I'm just staring at my desktop background, so I guess thats something else to add to the symptoms list.
I'm going to keep trouble shooting and, unfortunately, if I can't get it to work I'm just going to beg microcenter to let me exchange for an NVIDIA 2070 super and just pay the difference.

On an alt note I know AMD has fixed the majority of the black screen issues but I've also heard that its not a 100% fix and some users may still experience these issues. I guess I was just hoping I wasn't going to be one of them! lol

Before you exchange it, I managed to fix all my problems by going into the BIOS. GPU runs incredibly well now. If you go to bios and check the PCIE settings, there it should say AUTO for the slot that your GPU is plugged into. Change it to Gen3, it'll be in the list when you click it. Save and reboot and see if that fixes the issue.

Found this on reddit that helped me: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf111o/fixes_propably_a_lot_of_issues_with_rx_5700_rx/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

TRENDING THREADS