[SOLVED] Brand new Powercolor RX550 - No video or POST

Jul 1, 2020
I've just attempted to upgrade my system from an old Sapphire Radeon HD6600 to a new Powercolor RX550 and I get nothing. No video signal (tried HDMI & DVI) & no POST (no beeps at all)

CPU is an AMD FX6300
Mobo is Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
PSU is 550w (and ive unpluged all drives & expansion cards except for the SSD)

How do I know if its a faulty graphics card or something incompatible? Should I just send it back as faulty?

I checked the motherboard compatibility list for the Powercolor RX550 and the GA-970A-DS3 was in the list. Am I overlooking anything else?
System is working fine when I replace the old Sapphire card.

Hope someone can help me here. cheers Tim

Solution
Hm, that would cover the 7730, 7750, 7770, and 7790. The 7730 uses less power than the RX550, the rest use more.

I'm not familiar with the VP550P, but I see references to it as far back as 2011, so it's definitely an old design. Even so, if it has no problem with your existing card, I can't see why it would have trouble with your new card. Definitely see if the RX550 works in your friend's system (though waiting sucks). That'll definitely confirm/refute the idea that the card is defective.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't suppose you have another PC lying around that you can test the video card in, or a friend who can try it in their PC? If your original card was a 6670 (I can't find a 6600), then it draws slightly MORE power than the RX 550.

The PSU could be getting fussy, but that's a long-shot given that it's fine with your old HD66x0 card. What's the brand and exact model of the PSU?

Jul 1, 2020
I don't suppose you have another PC lying around that you can test the video card in, or a friend who can try it in their PC? If your original card was a 6670 (I can't find a 6600), then it draws slightly MORE power than the RX 550.

The PSU could be getting fussy, but that's a long-shot given that it's fine with your old HD66x0 card. What's the brand and exact model of the PSU?
PSU is an Antec VP550P
Yes, there is no such thing as a HD6600. Its a HD7700, sorry.

I might be able to do the visit to a friend in about a week. My other computers are much older (AMD Athlon 64 X2)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hm, that would cover the 7730, 7750, 7770, and 7790. The 7730 uses less power than the RX550, the rest use more.

I'm not familiar with the VP550P, but I see references to it as far back as 2011, so it's definitely an old design. Even so, if it has no problem with your existing card, I can't see why it would have trouble with your new card. Definitely see if the RX550 works in your friend's system (though waiting sucks). That'll definitely confirm/refute the idea that the card is defective.

Solution