Question Brand New PSU - ASUS THOR - Not turning on PC

Aug 13, 2019
Hi all,

So i'm having some computer issues and i think it may be the PSU. My PC was going to sleep mode randomly, fans up to 100% - see this thread

I have purchased an Asus Thor PSU, hooked it up using its own cables, except for the two 6-pin SATA power cables, which i kept from my old PSU as they were nice braided ones.

When I turn on the wall power switch, I can see all the RGB on the MOBO and the AIO cooler however when i turn on the pc itself, the fans move slightly then stop and nothing happens. The RGB on the GPU is not illuminated and there is nothing showing on the PSU screen either.

Just to confirm, I have plugged in 10 + 18 pins in the PSU and 24pin into MOBO, and using 2x [8pin to 4+4 pin] cables with one 4pin left hanging as my mobo has 12pins for the CPU power (not sure what this is powering, always assumed it to be CPU). The GPU is using a 8pin to 6+2, 6+2 cable.

Is there something i'm doing wrong? Or could this be a faulty power supply... i got it just an hour ago.

Any help appreciated, thanks for reading!

Aug 13, 2019
So I figured out the problem.

I unplugged the SATA PSU connectors and just had the PSU with the original cables connecting to MOBO and GPU. PC starts fine.

When i plug in the sata power cables (these are braided corsair cables i purchased separately from my old corsair psu), the PC doesnt start.

I replaced these with the cables that came with the PSU and its working fine.

Moral of the story - dont switch cables between PSU's ?

So I figured out the problem.

I unplugged the SATA PSU connectors and just had the PSU with the original cables connecting to MOBO and GPU. PC starts fine.

When i plug in the sata power cables (these are braided corsair cables i purchased separately from my old corsair psu), the PC doesnt start.

I replaced these with the cables that came with the PSU and its working fine.

Moral of the story - dont switch cables between PSU's ?

Yes there are several posts about people swapping power cables between PSUs and then having issues. That was the first thing that stood out in your first post, but you found the issue before a reply was needed to check those cables.

Aug 13, 2019
Yes there are several posts about people swapping power cables between PSUs and then having issues. That was the first thing that stood out in your first post, but you found the issue before a reply was needed to check those cables.

Aye, I even remember reading that somewhere years ago on the web. All good now.

Now im sitting here opening different programs and just watching that LED wattage jump around :p