Question Brand new PSU dead in 1 month?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Had 15 year old components and noticed issues with the GPU. Got a new GPU and issues fixed. Tested and that old GPU was dead. Was seeing power spikes and it caused my computer to randomly restart. Purchased new Corsair RM850 and all problems were fixed. A month later after a great night of gaming and no issues and properly shut down, the next day I press the power on button and I get a quick on/off no fans, no boot, just a quick fan spin and off and then dead until turn off the psu and unplug and back in. Then same thing.

I removed the GPU, I removed all ram and inserted each individually and same thing every time. Quick on/off and dead. Each time I have to unplug to get the on/off or else it's just dead.

I replaced the CMOS battery as well and still same thing.

Could it be my new psu after a month is already going bad or dead?

Could this be a motherboard or CPU issue?

Could a failing CPU or Mobo ruin a brand new PSU? I ask that because I had these issues with the old GPU and old PSU. I found out it was the GPU and once replacing the GPU and a updated new PSU to handle the power of the GPU, everything was working perfectly and it fixed the issues with a very stable system under heavy load. CPU and Mobo worked perfectly. That's why I feel like it's the PSU. Unless the old mobo is failing and can make a perfectly new PSU go bad. Can it?

My Specs:

ASUS Z97-Pro

i7 4790k 4GHz

16GB 2400DDR3 G.Skill (Trident X Series)

RTX 3070 GeForce Nvidia

Corsair 850 watt PSU

1 TB HHD

1 TB HHD backup

Windows 7 64-Bit

Last edited:
I would get a psu tester with light and plug it into the power supply the only light on the psu tester after testing all cables that should not come on is the -5v as that's is no longer needed. if psu is fine then i would say either your cpu or motherboard is the more likely culprit.

one thing to try is not installing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics on the motherboard if it doesnt post

reset the cmos battery and try again ( also replace the battery in the motherboard if you havent in a while as the pc wont start without it) i believe they are 2032 battery

if it posts then the motherboard and cpu are fine and gpu is possibly dead. ( this actually happened to a 1060 i got from palit.).

other possibility that one of the psu cables has developed a fault on the pci e end.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I would get a psu tester with light and plug it into the power supply the only light on the psu tester after testing all cables that should not come on is the -5v as that's is no longer needed. if psu is fine then i would say either your cpu or motherboard is the more likely culprit.

one thing to try is not installing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics on the motherboard if it doesnt post

reset the cmos battery and try again ( also replace the battery in the motherboard if you havent in a while as the pc wont start without it) i believe they are 2032 battery

if it posts then the motherboard and cpu are fine and gpu is possibly dead. ( this actually happened to a 1060 i got from palit.).

other possibility that one of the psu cables has developed a fault on the pci e end.

Sorry forgot to mention, I have taken out the gpu and am only using the onboard graphics and 1 slot of ram. I have tried all ram as well and still the same issue.

So what happens if the CPU is bad? Usually I though you would still be able to post, you just get crashes and lockups. I don't get anything. I get a quick on/off and then dead until I unplug and plug back in.

If the CMOS battery is dying it should still post, I just get error messages such as time/date and maybe other warnings, but shoukd still fully post right?

Sorry forgot to mention, I have taken out the gpu and am only using the onboard graphics and 1 slot of ram. I have tried all ram as well and still the same issue.

So what happens if the CPU is bad? Usually I though you would still be able to post, you just get crashes and lockups. I don't get anything. I get a quick on/off and then dead until I unplug and plug back in.

If the CMOS battery is dying it should still post, I just get error messages such as time/date and maybe other warnings, but shoukd still fully post right?

no if the cmos battery is dead the motherboard wont post properly ive had a issue with a motherboard before that it was the battery while it doesnt stop it posting it will still cause driver problems to occur.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
no if the cmos battery is dead the motherboard wont post properly ive had a issue with a motherboard before that it was the battery while it doesnt stop it posting it will still cause driver problems to occur.

So the CMOS battery being dead can make the computer not even turn on? I haven't heard of that before, but I haven't dealt with this before either.

So the CMOS battery being dead can make the computer not even turn on? I haven't heard of that before, but I haven't dealt with this before either.

yes and no it can cause drivers not to operate properly.

the only other way to test it is

psu tester
or buying a cheap i3 or pentium and install that to see if the board is dead or the cpu

if it posts its a cpu problem

if it doesnt post then its either a psu or motherboard problem.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Installed new cmos battery and still quick on/off then dead.

The power button on the mobo does light up when I plug in and turn on the psu, then after on/off dead, the power putton still stays lit on the mobo.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
yes and no it can cause drivers not to operate properly.

the only other way to test it is

psu tester
or buying a cheap i3 or pentium and install that to see if the board is dead or the cpu

if it posts its a cpu problem

if it doesnt post then its either a psu or motherboard problem.

I am looking to get a replacement, but they don't have the RM850 available. They have the RMx850. Do you know the difference?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Just to make clear for who reads this thread, No the Rm and RMx are two different series where the RMx is the best of the two.

That is a good choice. Hope it will solve your problem, but with older hardware like that might it also be something else.

Yeah, funny how my GPU was the issue before doijg a similar thing, but when I took it out and used inboard, the comp would start up just fine. Buying a new GPU and PSU solved everything. Now without any signs going from working perfectly to not starting at all, is really puzzling.

There's a lot of evidence of what the comp would do if the CPU was going out that I simply am not seeing at all. Also, a lot of symptoms to recognize for a mobo going out and still not seeing those specifically or at least what they say you should look for.

Just one perfect gaming night working perfectly to randomly no longer turning on. It's gotta be the PSU. On a side note, I never saw or heard the PSU fan ever come on.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hope so for the psu. Some of the psu's nowadays have a no fan mode under a certain load or temp so this might explain why you do not here the fan.

So the new psu came today and it started to start up and held for a minute and then off again. So it wasn't the PSU.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can test?

I have one good stick of ram in, no GPU using onboard video and only one hard drive. I reset my CMOS as well.

I actually removed the CPU to check and reseated it and I got it to boot into bios and windows. I restarted and went into bios to set up my current specs and saved and exited. Computer immediately shut down dead. No power nothing. The little red power button stays lit though. I unhooked the cable and plugged back in and now back to the on/off issue.

The only things it can be now are the motherboard or the CPU. What should I do?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
The psu is connected to the wall directly?

Disconnect everything from the motherboard like hdd's etc., only put one stick of ram in the second slot from the cpu out and test.
So I figured out what the issue was. My Dimm A1 A2 are both dead. I currently have two sticks in Dimm B1 and B2 working perfectly.

So this means its a mother board issue and its time for a new computer right?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
One channel not working might be motherboard, but alos could be wrong pressure of the cpu cooler. Can reseat the cooler and see how it works after that. Then is there also the possibility that the cpu's memory controller is busted, but consider that one unlikely.

See btw that you started a thread for a new build so assume you go with that, might be good to close this one unless you want to keep the old as back up pc.

So I figured out what the issue was. My Dimm A1 A2 are both dead. I currently have two sticks in Dimm B1 and B2 working perfectly.

So this means its a mother board issue and its time for a new computer right?

sounds like the motherboard is on its last legs as thats only single channel its posting in

duel would be a2 and b2 according to the manual it suggests those slots have gone bad

unless theres debris in the slots. whens last time it was cleaned out with a electric dust blaster.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Probably cpu socket pins got bent/broken, when you removed cpu. They are quite fragile.
But keep in mind everything was good for months and months and then on/off. So I hadn't pulled the cpu yet. I started testing everything and same results and nothing worked except when I put the ram in the 3rd slot from the cpu so the a2 and b2? That made it post. So slots a1 and a2 and dead.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
One channel not working might be motherboard, but alos could be wrong pressure of the cpu cooler. Can reseat the cooler and see how it works after that. Then is there also the possibility that the cpu's memory controller is busted, but consider that one unlikely.

See btw that you started a thread for a new build so assume you go with that, might be good to close this one unless you want to keep the old as back up pc.
I tried reseting the cooler about 5 different time as I was testing and still same on/off results. I heard the computer does that to protect itself when something is bad like a circuit breaker. I did a memok test which is a button on my mobo and it hangs up at the ram and code 55 when sticks were in the first 2 slots.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Didn't you say, you removed cpu?

Check cpu socket pins, if any are bent/broken.

Yes I removed the CPU, but all the issues were already happening. I took out GPU, changed PSU, and removed RAM to diagnose before I took out the CPU. Taking out the CPU didn't change anything. The only thing that changed it and made it work was not having any ram in slots 1 and 2. I now can only use ram in slots 3 and 4. So slots 1 and 2 are dead and this was causing my on/off/dead issue. Very strange. I checked all pins and CPU all look good. Its as simple as if I put any ram in slot 1 or 2, the computer won't post and does an on/off/dead issue every time. Its weird. So that tells me those slots must be bad right?

TRENDING THREADS