Question Brand new PSU dead in 1 month?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Had 15 year old components and noticed issues with the GPU. Got a new GPU and issues fixed. Tested and that old GPU was dead. Was seeing power spikes and it caused my computer to randomly restart. Purchased new Corsair RM850 and all problems were fixed. A month later after a great night of gaming and no issues and properly shut down, the next day I press the power on button and I get a quick on/off no fans, no boot, just a quick fan spin and off and then dead until turn off the psu and unplug and back in. Then same thing.

I removed the GPU, I removed all ram and inserted each individually and same thing every time. Quick on/off and dead. Each time I have to unplug to get the on/off or else it's just dead.

I replaced the CMOS battery as well and still same thing.

Could it be my new psu after a month is already going bad or dead?

Could this be a motherboard or CPU issue?

Could a failing CPU or Mobo ruin a brand new PSU? I ask that because I had these issues with the old GPU and old PSU. I found out it was the GPU and once replacing the GPU and a updated new PSU to handle the power of the GPU, everything was working perfectly and it fixed the issues with a very stable system under heavy load. CPU and Mobo worked perfectly. That's why I feel like it's the PSU. Unless the old mobo is failing and can make a perfectly new PSU go bad. Can it?

My Specs:

ASUS Z97-Pro

i7 4790k 4GHz

16GB 2400DDR3 G.Skill (Trident X Series)

RTX 3070 GeForce Nvidia

Corsair 850 watt PSU

1 TB HHD

1 TB HHD backup

Windows 7 64-Bit

Last edited:
Yes I removed the CPU, but all the issues were already happening. I took out GPU, changed PSU, and removed RAM to diagnose before I took out the CPU. Taking out the CPU didn't change anything. The only thing that changed it and made it work was not having any ram in slots 1 and 2. I now can only use ram in slots 3 and 4. So slots 1 and 2 are dead and this was causing my on/off/dead issue. Very strange. I checked all pins and CPU all look good. Its as simple as if I put any ram in slot 1 or 2, the computer won't post and does an on/off/dead issue every time. Its weird. So that tells me those slots must be bad right?

have you tried just putting 1 ram stick in slot 2

to me it sounds like there are dead traces in slot 1 and 2

try setting your ram to default speeds to remove any overclocks.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
have you tried just putting 1 ram stick in slot 2

to me it sounds like there are dead traces in slot 1 and 2

try setting your ram to default speeds to remove any overclocks.

Yeah placed one ram stick in slot 1, no go, 2, no go, 3 yes it worked, slot 4 also worked. I tried several other sticks as well. Also, resetting the CMOS put everything back to default with the ram, so they are at their lower default speeds. Everything is working perfectly fine with ram in slot 3 and 4 for now. Putting together my parts list for a new computer since yeah it does sound like slot 1 and 2 are dead.

Yeah placed one ram stick in slot 1, no go, 2, no go, 3 yes it worked, slot 4 also worked. I tried several other sticks as well. Also, resetting the CMOS put everything back to default with the ram, so they are at their lower default speeds. Everything is working perfectly fine with ram in slot 3 and 4 for now. Putting together my parts list for a new computer since yeah it does sound like slot 1 and 2 are dead.

ya that seems most likely the cause. that or the memory controller on the cpu failed which can happen though very rare.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
ya that seems most likely the cause. that or the memory controller on the cpu failed which can happen though very rare.

Yeah, so probably best instead of trying to put money into an old used z97 board or an old 4790 Processor to just finally take the plunged into an upgraded system including Win11. I hate to lose all of my games and data to upgrade, but I'm running low on options lol. I really appreciate all the help and ideas.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Buy an ssd (250<->500mb) with the new parts as well and install windows fresh on that. Keep the hdd's with al your data and what will you lose then? Do keep the hdd's disconnected from the motherboard until after you have installed windows.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Buy an ssd (250<->500mb) with the new parts as well and install windows fresh on that. Keep the hdd's with al your data and what will you lose then? Do keep the hdd's disconnected from the motherboard until after you have installed windows.

Okay, after installing win11 on the new drive and new computer, is there a way to boot into the old win7 from the old drive? Or will win7 not work from the old drive because if driver incompatibility with the new mobo?