[SOLVED] Brand new PSU dead in 3 weeks?

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
New build. Corsair 850 shift PSU, Asus TUF Z790 mobo, I7 13700K cpu, Ran perfectly till this morning. Now, it does not power up at all. The only sign of life is the Ethernet port light flickers. Tested power switch at the mobo by shorting the connections which did nothing. No other lights on Mobo. All wires to 24 pin connection are black, so I have yet to try the paperclip test, but may try to figure that one out.

Is it possible the PSU is giving enough power to the mobo that the ethernet port flickers, but not enough to fire up the pc?

My daughter is heart broken, and thinks she did something wrong, although I told her it wasnt her fault

I chose the Corsair Shift because it makes life easier to wire up, but now.......meh.

Solution
Good you got it running.

Since you pulled ram, I suspect that perhaps the ram was not fully seated.
There may be some CR2032 lithium based batteries with a longer life, but I doubt that is relevant.
The batteries drain only when the power supply is unplugged from the wall, and even that will be very slow.

Lutfij

Titan
Besides the CPU and motherboard, what else did the system power up? It could be that the board doesn't want to power up. You could try and reseat all connections on the motherboard and see if any were half way in. You could also try and clear the CMOS or reseat the ram on the board.

As this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

The "paper clip" test is worthless.
It can only confirm a dead psu, but will not say anything about proper operation.
Still it is worth a try.
Did the psu include a tester plug?

Double check that each end of the cables are fully inserted.
On occasion, parts do fail, and it is usually in the first few weeks
in the "infant mortality" period.
Corsair advertises 24/7 customer support; take them up on it.

Every electronic component can't fail at any time without notice, nothing strange here. Make sure your daughter understands that. That's what warranty is for.
If the system fails to power up at all the components most likely at fault are PSU and motherboard. Make sure to make paperclip test on PSU to narrow possible choices.

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
I tried the paper clip test, and everything seemd to work.....as I did not disconnect anything but the 24 pin connecter.....the fans all came one (except the one connected to Mobo, others work off a SATA plug). I will try to reseat DDR , and perhaps replace 2032 battery ( if I can find it.....I think its below the GPU).

The cr2032 battery is only used to hold non default bios settings across full unplugging of the psu from the wall.
It is unlikely to be relevant.

Call Corsair, 24/7,
they can work you through the tests they need to see in case you need a replacement.

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
FIXED! I pulled the battery, waited half a minute and plugged it, and she fired right up. Had to go into BIOS (EUFI) and check some settings (XMP needed to be enabled, as I pulled the RAM also), but all is back to normal!

Why would i have to reset the CMOS? Is it possible we had a power-blip over night that only affected 1 pc? Should I replace the 2032? It is a brand new mobo, so I suspect the battery is good. And would any 2032 battery work? I read somewhere that there is a difference in PC 2032 batteries, but I sort of doubt it.

Good you got it running.

Since you pulled ram, I suspect that perhaps the ram was not fully seated.
There may be some CR2032 lithium based batteries with a longer life, but I doubt that is relevant.
The batteries drain only when the power supply is unplugged from the wall, and even that will be very slow.

Solution