Question Brand new PSU overheating?

seaniez

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
My new pc reboots itself randomly, but not in the BIOS. I had a lot of difficulty installing Windows 10 due to the reboots. Finally I got to the desktop and installed chrome, it was good for a few minutes until my PC rebooted once again. It came back to the lockscreen and i logged in, then it rebooted itself.

I7-9700k
Msi Z390 gaming pro carbon
500gb samsung ssd
2tb western digital hdd
H100i rgb platinum
CX750M PSU

How can I make sure this is a PSU problem?

seaniez

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Do you have discrete graphics card too?
Why do you suspect overheating?
Have you monitored temperatures for cpu (and gpu, if discrete card is present) ?

I'm just running on built in intel graphics at the moment, and I suspect overheating because it fits the symptoms I looked up, the rebooting. And also the increasing frequency of reboots when using the PC, because it doesn't have enough time to fully cool down in between shutdowns and startups. But I am skeptical at the fact it's overheating because the fan is spinning, and the PSU is oriented correctly, where the fan is at the bottom of the case. I just suspected overheating because it fits the symptoms very well. CPU temps are completely normal.

I'm just running on built in intel graphics at the moment, and I suspect overheating because it fits the symptoms I looked up, the rebooting.

Install your graphics card and I bet the problem goes away.

I've been seeing a lot of Windows 10 issues with the Intel integrated graphics on Z3xx chipset boards. Some sort of bug.

And also the increasing frequency of reboots when using the PC, because it doesn't have enough time to fully cool down in between shutdowns and startups. But I am skeptical at the fact it's overheating because the fan is spinning, and the PSU is oriented correctly, where the fan is at the bottom of the case. I just suspected overheating because it fits the symptoms very well.

No. It doesn't. Your information is incorrect. If a PSU overheats, it doesn't reboot the PC. It shuts down. That's what OTP does. It shuts down the PSU. And you won't be able to restart it again until the PSU is cool enough to allow you to start it up.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Disable automatic restart on system failure.
Next time instead of reboot you'll get BSOD with info about the problem, that caused it.

Disable the automatic restart option to view error messages
Errors might occur but not display with Automatic restart enabled. Disable this option to allow the computer to display error messages instead of restarting.
  1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, and then click OK.
c04778889.jpg

He won't if it's the problem I'm familiar with. It will still reboot if he doesn't have the graphics card installed.

What I'm seeing is a negative spike of power going back into the PSU (typically 2.5A on the +12V). This causes the PSU's power good signal to drop out, causing the PSU to reboot. If a graphics card is installed, the power goes to the card instead.