Question Brand New RM550X PSU Making Noise?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2808222

I had a Cooler Master B500 V2 at first and there was a strange mid/high pitched noise coming from motherboard area when my pc was on which I did not like. Listening with my ear it was quite hard to hear exactly where it was coming from but my guess at that time was the PSU. Since I also have been using it for about 3 years I decided it was time to buy a new one. I did some research, looking for a quiet and worth the money PSU. I was close to choosing the Be Quiet Dark Pro but decided to go with the Corsair RM550X because of the price and of course the silence it should also have.
Everything connected in place and the PSU connected to the power outlet, switch on the PSU and there it is. A strange high pitched buzz/noise which I was not expecting to get. I have not tried to turn on the computer yet but I wonder if something is wrong with this (Silent Corsair RM550X). I did not have this noise before when my computer was off with my old cooler master psu.
My main goal is to have my computer silent (No weird pitch/whine coil/buzz) when the computer is on. As long as the psu is quiet when I got my PC turned on then I’m very happy but before I turn it on I do wanna be more sure there’s nothing wrong with this new thing.

Appreciate help.

It is some kind of high pitched buzz. Most noise from it seems to come from the back, where you turn it on/off and plug in the 3 pin power cable or whatever. Having the PSU off and connected to a power outlet does not create this noise. only when the psu is turned on. This noise is not very hearable a meter away or so but you clearly hear it when coming closer to the psu.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2808222

This is a long text, sorry for that but that might show how much I care about getting rid of this problem.

I think I’ve had this for a while, thinking it was my water cooler or so. My PC has now been upgraded since I want it to be silent. (No humming, pitch or buzzing) only amazing, normal & quiet fan noises when I work.
When upgrading I noticed how the problem was still there, thought it was my cooler master b500 v2 psu and since it also was about 3 years old I decided to buy a new silent psu. Got this corsair rm500x psu installed few days later, it is not as silent as I expected with a weird sound to it so I’m quite disappointed as it does not sound like a fan noise coming from it. maybe choosing the bequiet dark pro psu would be better and worth the money for hopefully a more silent psu but I’ve already bought this one now. But so here’s the thing, the humming I had earlier has not been removed with the new PSU, it’s still there. Even when I upgraded to a noctua nh-d15 air cooler and since it was bent making a loud buzzing noise I had to buy a brand new nhd15 so here I am with that new more silent one. Still there is this humming noise coming from the motherboard area.

It’s not the brand new seagate barracuda HDD I got. (Tested & checked that, only a weird high pitch comes from it, is it normal?)
It’s not the Nvidia Gt 1030 graphics card. (Tested and checked that)
3-5 year old ssd samsung 960 evo or something (coil whine seems to come from it)
It’s probably not the 1-5 months old samsung qvo ssd (high pitch comes from it I think)
Cannot be the Corsair RM550X PSU since I got a new one, right? (High pitch and buzzing noise seems to come from it when pc is turned off)
I had a water cooler before, switched to air cooler and then replaced that cpu cooler with a new one. Noise has not changed with 2/3 different coolers.
Even when removing almost all fans from pc the humming is still there. If it’s a fan making this noise it has to come from a fan I have not tried removing, be quiet 140mm fan from back of the case but I don’t believe that’s what causing this problem here since when I take my ear behind the fan (back of the case) I can hear it yeah but when I get closer to the area where all usb ports, network/internet port, audio jacks are from the motherboard then that’s where it’s louder.
All fans set to silent mode = humming still there
All fans set to full speed = humming still there

Putting my ear behind the motherboard, the humming seems loud there. But it is hearable around the whole pc that’s the difficult thing. Standing in a different room with door open about 5-20 meters away, I still hear the humming. At this kind of range between me and the pc I do not hear the computer fans or other kind of noise, only this annoying humming / low-mid pitched tone or resonance.

That comes down to the two last components if it’s not the corsair vengeance 4x8gb ram somehow..
CPU : I7-7700K
Motherboard : Asus Z270-A
(Both of these components are things I’ve had around 3-5 years inside a pc)

I do really need help here, I’ll do anything to get this humming removed/away. But I do not wanna have to buy a new motherboard for example and then still have this noise, waste of money and worse for the environment. But if I have to buy something new to fix this issue then I’m happy to do so but disappointed if that’s what I have to do to get this thing more normal/quiet since there’s already much I’ve bought to make this PC more silent.

What I’ve got new for this pc is: nzxt h630 case, rm550x psu, noctua cpu cooler, 2 x 120mm fans, 1 x 140mm fans, 4 x 200mm fans that will be delivered soon and cheap but a lot of Acoustic foam panels that are on the way mostly for the room but will make sure this helps reduce some noise from the PC to.

The humming noise I wrote about here is the one that seems the loudest noise coming from my computer but together with it there’s some different other resonances as well.

tips on eliminating humming/resonance/pitched noises is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2808222

I made one thread about my new power supply I recently got, if the noise it makes is normal or if there might be a problem with it. The other thread regarding my motherboard/the noise that seems to come from that area.

Not sure why a single thread but I hope I get help with my questions anyways!