Question Brand new RTX 4070 causing PC to crash to BIOS ?

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Hi y’all! I installed my brand new RTX 4070 last night and it now hard crashes to the BIOS upon spawning in to warzone and or Microsoft flight simulator almost immediately.

System
CPU: i7-12700k
Motherboard: Gigabyte z690 DDR4 gaming x
RAM: Gskill trident neo ddr4-3600
PSU: EVGA 1000w
Storage: 1TB WD black , 1TB intel 660 both nvme
Cooling: 360mm aio
Old GPU: Gigabyte wind force oc 3070

New GPU: Gigabyte wind force oc 4070

I started with the DDU thing and cleaned all previous drivers, brand new install of GeForce experience, and latest drivers. It seems to run all MSI Kombuster benchmarks and stress tests just fine. It only crashes in games. Any previous experiences or insight would be greatly appreciated!

D

Deleted member 2947362

Are you overclocking the GFX card?

please explain by what you mean reboots the computer back to Bios ?

do you mean resets and when the PC posts it's in the bios without you having to press anything?

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
No overclocking at all it is as it was out of the box.

It actually shuts me down back to a bios screen that says something to the effect of “hardware has changed would you like to use default boot options” then when I hold the power button and shut it all the way down and turn it back on it boots just fine and everything works fine until I load into a game.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Go into your bios look for an option to reset the Bios to it default options then reboot the PC go back to the bios and enable XMP if your using xmp ram see if that helps

You could even try removing the motherboards Bios battery for a couple of mins, make sure the PC is disconnect from the main electric supply before doing this though

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Guessing 3070 never did this? What model is your psu?

Event viewer in Windows might say what caused the crash.

Try a different Geforce driver, two or three versions back. And set power plan in NvidiaCP to maximum performance so the card doesn't fluctuate in power draw causing spikes to the psu.

Then try bios update.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Go into your bios look for an option to reset the Bios to it default options then reboot the PC go back to the bios and enable XMP if your using xmp ram see if that helps

You could even try removing the motherboards Bios battery for a couple of mins, make sure the PC is disconnect from the main electric supply before doing this though
I am using xmp. What are you thinking is happening? What with the GPU would be causing this? Just curious

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Guessing 3070 never did this? What model is your psu?

Event viewer in Windows might say what caused the crash.

Try a different Geforce driver, two or three versions back. And set power plan in NvidiaCP to maximum performance so the card doesn't fluctuate in power draw causing spikes to the psu.

Then try bios update.
No 3070 ran flawlessly. EVGA supernova 1000GT.

I will look into older drivers and those settings.

D

Deleted member 2947362

just thinking maybe the motherboard hasn't config resources to the card correctly and maybe resetting the Bios will fix it.

After resetting the Bios

XMP is not enabled by default so just advised you to enable it if your system has it.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
just thinking maybe the motherboard hasn't config resources to the card correctly and maybe resetting the Bios will fix it.

After resetting the Bios

XMP is not enabled by default so just advised you to enable it if your system has it.
I see ok makes sense. I have always ran it with xmp enabled, I will make sure it is if I have to reset the bios.

D

Deleted member 2947362

No 3070 ran flawlessly. EVGA supernova 1000GT.

I will look into older drivers and those settings.
lol well it' could be drivers and down grading may resolve it, I was just wondering because it happen's in game it might be the anti cheat software not happy about something and causing a system conflict you have to look in event viewer it should logged what happened.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Well I'm getting strong urges to get in to my Oxygen Pro Mini and Hype 3 so I shall say have a good day and I hope your issue is swiftly resolved.

I shall leave you in the hands of the many capable forum members, many of which have much more knowledge and experience than I do.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Well I'm getting strong urges to get in to my Oxygen Pro Mini and Hype 3 so I shall say have a good day and I hope your issue is swiftly resolved.

I shall leave you in the hands of the many capable forum members, many of which have much more knowledge and experience than I do.
I appreciate your help!

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I changed the power management setting to performance in nvidia control panel and the scaling to full screen and it seems to have at minimum improved may be fixed totally I will do more stressing after work. Not sure which setting has made the difference. Just wanted to give an update. I will update further in the coming days if anyone is wants/needs to know.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
UPDATE: I have tried everything under the sun and the only thing that seems to have worked was to go into the bios and change from pcie gen 4 to gen3…..

So my next questions are should I have to do that?

Why would that fix it?

Is this a motherboard problem?

How much am I’m gimping my setup by changing from pcie gen 4 to gen 3?

Also any other insight into this change that you feel is noteworthy would be much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 2947362

UPDATE: I have tried everything under the sun and the only thing that seems to have worked was to go into the bios and change from pcie gen 4 to gen3…..

So my next questions are should I have to do that?

Why would that fix it?

Is this a motherboard problem?

How much am I’m gimping my setup by changing from pcie gen 4 to gen 3?

Also any other insight into this change that you feel is noteworthy would be much appreciated.
Nice one you have resolved your issue, but why going from 4.0 to 3.0 sorted the problem is beyond me lol only thing I can think of is it must be a motherboard Bios bug or GPU Bios?

I would contact the the companies that make the hardware (Motherboard and GPU) and seek further advise.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Using riser cable by any chance to mount graphics card differently?

Motherboard supports pcie 5, though compatible with pcie 3 and 4, if not using riser cable there could be a conflict somewhere, maybe if top m2 slot is used - I've seen that happen. Have you tried bios update?

D

Deleted member 2947362

Motherboard supports pcie 5, though compatible with pcie 3 and 4, if not using riser cable there could be a conflict somewhere, maybe if top m2 slot is used - I've seen that happen. Have you tried bios update?
ahh yea of cause I keep forgetting newer motherboards are up to PCIe 5.0 duh

Probs because I'm still living in the PCIe 3.0 era in a PCIe 5.0 world

(I could probs make a song out of that lol)

Reactions: boju

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019

I am using a riser cable though with that what am I missing about the difference from my old 3070 to this 4070? Same with thr m.2 slots.

I did do a bios update and it still crashed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I am using a riser cable though with that what am I missing about the difference from my old 3070 to this 4070?

I don't know for sure, just pcie 4 riser cables in the past were unreliable, not entirely to gen 4 spec and defaulting motherboard to pcie 3 fixed any issues. But the riser cable you have works with your previous card which is also pcie 4. If i had to guess, possibly Rtx 4xxx series, different architecture, might not like this particular cable. Can you try without riser to test?

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I don't know for sure, just pcie 4 riser cables in the past were unreliable, not entirely to gen 4 spec and defaulting motherboard to pcie 3 fixed any issues. But the riser cable you have works with your previous card which is also pcie 4. If i had to guess, possibly Rtx 4xxx series, different architecture, might not like this particular cable. Can you try without riser to test?
Yes I certainly can! I will do it today.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I have changed it out and games for quite some time with no issues on PCIe gen 4 so at this point I believe the riser cable was the culprit! Great thinking man. If anything changes I will post here.

TRENDING THREADS