May 28, 2019
I’ve just completed a build with a brand new 2019 Mobo with a i5 8400 CPU and a Saphire RX580 8GB. Once I’d completed the build everything worked fine, I played a game or two to test it out and it ran perfectly, getting over 100 FPS.

But a hour or so later and now I’m getting locked 30fps on every game with appalling graphics settings (even though the game setting are set to high and no FPS limit.) HELP!!!

I’ve been so excited to get it up and running and now this happens and I can’t find a solution. I’m thinking it may have something to do with my PSU as I have noticed another problem with my new build; every time I boot up my PC it powers on for a couple seconds.... dies.... then just boots up automatically again and comes on fine. As a result of this I have gotten a message ‘AMD Wattman has set default settings due to an unexpected system failure.’ So of course this must somehow be related. But I just don’t know what’s happening. (Sorry for the essay) any idea are greatly appreciated

May 28, 2019
Are you sure VSYNC is not capped, by any chance ? Check the AMD Radeon global settings as well. Also, try doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers. Use the DDU tool. Doing a fresh/clean OS re-install won't hurt either, but keep this as the last resort. Do you have the CX550M PSU model from corsair ?

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Okay I’ll give that a go thanks :) it’s the CXM 550 W from Corsair. I have the saphire nitro+ GPU and it does say it recommends 500w PSU but I still think the PSU I have is more than enough. I’ll give it a go and report back :’)

May 28, 2019
Okay I’ll give that a go thanks :) it’s the CXM 550 W from Corsair. I have the saphire nitro+ GPU and it does say it recommends 500w PSU but I still think the PSU I have is more than enough. I’ll give it a go and report back :’)

Oh and I’m pretty sure all my video settings aren’t what’s causing it. It must have something to do with the unexpected system failure and I think it’s to do with the power. I did notice that the American plug that came with it had writing on it saying 12A ~250W and the UK kettle lead I bought from a shop has 5A~250W on it. But the internet seems to agree that leads won’t make a difference

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The first thing I would do is open the Radeon performance overlay with < Ctrl+Shift+o > to see if the gpu clock speeds are correct under load, and what the GPU and CPU usage is at. It won't tell you what your problem is, but can give you clues.