[SOLVED] Brand new RX580 has a lot of issues.

Feb 1, 2020
I have never owned an AMD gpu before but for some reason my brand new RX580 will have these massive hangs, stutters, and frame drops while playing games. It doesn't matter if I'm playing black ops 2 or siege. It will consistently bug out on me.

I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of my drivers and that didn't solve anything.

I disabled HDCP support and saw a slight difference, but the problem still persists.

I'm at a complete loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

specs:

fx8370 to 7.00ghz

16gb of ddr3 ram

RX 580 nitro plus 8gb

No component in my system runs over 60C.

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Solution
I'm using a corsair H100i water cooler to cool my CPU.
Ok, that's good for this cpu.
How old is it?

One of the downsides of using liquid coolers is that users sacrifice direct cooling over the motherboard's VRMs, and depending on the motherboard model, it could be much need cooling.
Air coolers do not have this issue.

This still looks like a motherboard issue.
Now that you've mentioned using an AIO, not only are the motherboard's VRMs possibly overheating, but they are likely struggling to keep up with the FX-8370's power draw.

Without having to replace the motherboard, you are now forced to underclock(3.5ghz) and undervolt the cpu for stability.
Feb 1, 2020
What about PSU? Brand and model.
How even..?

Post the link to your results, as it will give us most of your PC's specs, save for the power supply, case, etc...

Make and model of the power supply?

And that's when using AMD Overdrive?

My PSU is a corsair something or another. It's a 750 watt PSU.

I also have tested everything with overdrive disabled/enabled. Nothing ever climbs above 60.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020
My friend told me to remove the OC on my CPU because it could make games run very unstable. I removed the OC (and turned everything in the BIOS to their default settings) and it hasn't changed anything. I'll still be getting like 300FPS in a game and then it goes all the way down to 20.

Here are the UserBenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD FX-8370 - 52.3%
GPU: AMD RX 580 - 55.1%
SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB - 32.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) - 776.1%
RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 48.7%
MBD: Asus M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3

Feb 1, 2020
My friend told me to remove the OC on my CPU because it could make games run very unstable. I removed the OC (and turned everything in the BIOS to their default settings) and it hasn't changed anything. I'll still be getting like 300FPS in a game and then it goes all the way down to 20.

Here are the UserBenchmark results:

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD FX-8370 - 52.3%
GPU: AMD RX 580 - 55.1%
SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB - 32.7%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) - 776.1%
RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 48.7%
MBD: Asus M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3

I know my motherboard is not that great. I have a new one coming in on Monday.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The cpu isn't running 7.0ghz - it's running 4.1ghz.
What are you cooling the FX-8370 with?

2)Considering your PC's specs and the power supply... to me, it doesn't look like the issue lies with the RX 580, but actually the motherboard.
The weak power phases on that motherboard are unable to deal with an FX-8xxx/9xxx in the long term. It'll eventually burn itself out.

Reactions: RememberThe5th
Feb 1, 2020
1)The cpu isn't running 7.0ghz - it's running 4.1ghz.
What are you cooling the FX-8370 with?

2)Considering your PC's specs and the power supply... to me, it doesn't look like the issue lies with the RX 580, but actually the motherboard.
The weak power phases on that motherboard are unable to deal with an FX-8xxx/9xxx in the long term. It'll eventually burn itself out.
Previously I have stated that I needed to reset the OC because it could have been an outlier for stability.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How old is it?

One of the downsides of using liquid coolers is that users sacrifice direct cooling over the motherboard's VRMs, and depending on the motherboard model, it could be much need cooling.

Now that you've mentioned using an AIO, not only are the motherboard's VRMs possibly overheating, but they are likely struggling to keep up with the FX-8370's power draw.

Without having to replace the motherboard, you are now forced to underclock(3.5ghz) and undervolt the cpu for stability.

Solution
Feb 1, 2020
How old is it?

The 8370 came out in 2014 but it's been sitting in a computer collecting dust for years. Barely used. It's practically brand new.

My new motherboard will be here on monday (ASUS Sabertooth 990FX).
It's supposed to be the best motherboard ever made for the AM3+ platform. I hope it fixes my issue. When it comes in I'll hook everything up and get back to this thread.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 1, 2020
I was asking how old the H100i was. The pumps in those devices don't last an eternity, so if you've already had it a few years, the pump may be dying or clogged.

It's a few years old but it hasn't been used all that much.

The liquid inside the pump was replaced with car coolant a while back just to see what would happen. It ended up getting slightly better temps.

Is there a software that I can use to monitor the health of the pump?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there a software that I can use to monitor the health of the pump?
Not that I would know of, at least.
But you should be able to check it with your hands. Feel the cpu block, both tubes, the radiator, even the air being expelled through the radiator.
The heat should be spread throughout most of the parts, save for maybe the 'return to cpu block tube'. If not, then there's a problem.

Feb 1, 2020
Not that I would know of, at least.
But you should be able to check it with your hands. Feel the cpu block, both tubes, the radiator, even the air being expelled through the radiator.
The heat should be spread throughout most of the parts, save for maybe the 'return to cpu block tube'. If not, then there's a problem.
Everything feels pretty smooth.

Feb 1, 2020
Oop. I reached a stable at 4.5ghz. Going to 4.6 causes weird latency and an eventual crash of windows. Tried cranking the voltage up by .0125 at 4.6 and it caused a bluescreen.