Question Brand new Ryzen 5 5600X is overheating ?

adyxoni

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
Just yesterday I received my new PC with the following specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
  • AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
  • 1x16 GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000 MHz
  • 600w Coolermaster PSU
  • Gigabyte B550m ds3h
  • Kingston 1TB NVMe
Beside that, I received a heat sink and AMD cooler along with the CPU. For case air flow, I am using 1 inbound fan on the front of the case and 1 exhaust fan on the rear (the inbound one is positioned in the middle) while the exhaust is on the top rear side.

As I am writing this I have this Chrome Tab opened and a game (CSGO) open in the background. My temperature is 40 but just now I am having CPU usage spikes and so the temperature spikes as well. Here is an example:

9Oe6vbq.png

Is this ok and should I be worried? How can I solve this and what should I check? Should I tweek something in the BIOS?

adyxoni

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
Max temp 80?

I will do one session of a game like CSGO that isn't demanding and I will see but yes, I believe it will do around 80. However yesterday when I didn't have any case fans, it reached 95 but I'm guessing it is expected when I didn't install any case fans

Maximum of 80 is well under the 95 maximum it's specced for. It's also likely that number is the hottest part of the CPU, not the average. It also seems kinda suspect that all the CPU temp graphs are the same.

Yesterday it exactly reached 95 when I didn't have any case fans installed. So these usage spikes and temps are ok or?

adyxoni

Reputable
Nov 28, 2020
I just tried a single session of the new Call of Duty. The temperatures went like this:

GPU: Just below 70 degrees celsius, occasionally hits 70. This should be ok I believe?
CPU: Constant 84-86 degrees, at the end of the match hit 87. This is something I'm not happy with.

I am using all of my fan slots for the motherboard (2) and I can't go further with those.

I would like to note that I am using the stock cooler for the cpu and the stock thermal paste. Would changing those lower the temps for at least 10 degrees?

Idle temp is at 45

Last edited:
Just yesterday I received my new PC with the following specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
  • AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
  • 1x16 GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000 MHz
  • 600w Coolermaster PSU
  • Gigabyte B550m ds3h
  • Kingston 1TB NVMe
Beside that, I received a heat sink and AMD cooler along with the CPU. For case air flow, I am using 1 inbound fan on the front of the case and 1 exhaust fan on the rear (the inbound one is positioned in the middle) while the exhaust is on the top rear side.

As I am writing this I have this Chrome Tab opened and a game (CSGO) open in the background. My temperature is 40 but just now I am having CPU usage spikes and so the temperature spikes as well. Here is an example:

9Oe6vbq.png

Is this ok and should I be worried? How can I solve this and what should I check? Should I tweek something in the BIOS?
As i can see... Thermal contact Is good... Because rate of change of Temperature with respect to time is not very high.. (dT/dt value)..
CPU cooler is also maintaining CPU under control as you're not hitting more than 85°C max temps... Which means CPU cooler is removing heat as CPU is generating... And also is balanced too...

So both CPU and Coolers are fine...

Coming to next point... Which is.. CPUs.. runs and behaves differently as they configured in BIOS... Your PC is capable to run your CPU at higher turbo clocks... Which means your CPU will pull more energy.. and will heat more... But till. Certain temperatures.. System monitors temperature. And changes the Power flow to CPU.. so that CPU should not fry itself.. it's self regulated.. so that you can get more performance.. and less heat at the same time... So its a good thing...

You don't need to do anything.. pc is fine...

You can change your cooler and tweek bios to get even. More performance..

Reactions: kurdtnz
Mar 21, 2023
I had an issue with idle temps and a new build. Used the stock fan and at idle I was hitting 80C, ambient air temp is 60F. Video card is a Radeon 6770, nothing fancy, case is wide open. So I took off the stock fan, took out the processor, apply MX-4, reinstall..... Still idle at 80C. Did a google search and found this thread on the AMD forum https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5-5600x-idle-temps-63-67c/td-p/516745j. In the comments blah blah blah your case is tiny as <Mod Edit>, no air flow, get a better case. Farther down the comments a user robinw99 mentions to go to Windows Power Options and go to Processor power management > Maximum processor state > set the value to 99%. I did this and instantly idle temps went from 80C to 50C. However under load its hitting 80C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an issue with idle temps and a new build. Used the stock fan and at idle I was hitting 80C, ambient air temp is 60F. Video card is a Radeon 6770, nothing fancy, case is wide open. So I took off the stock fan, took out the processor, apply MX-4, reinstall..... Still idle at 80C. Did a google search and found this thread on the AMD forum https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5-5600x-idle-temps-63-67c/td-p/516745j. In the comments blah blah blah your case is tiny as <Mod Edit>, no air flow, get a better case. Farther down the comments a user robinw99 mentions to go to Windows Power Options and go to Processor power management > Maximum processor state > set the value to 99%. I did this and instantly idle temps went from 80C to 50C. However under load its hitting 80C.
The problem with doing this is that you limit the processors speed to it's base speed, it will not boost. I currently have a 5700x but ran a 5600x for over a year and never had temps hitting 80 degrees, as others have said, the stock cooler is the issue, you can get a decent after market cooler which will keep your temps in check.

Reactions: KyaraM