Question Brand new Ryzen 7 5700X running at 80+ degrees idle

matipeczkowski23

Honorable
Sep 1, 2018
So I bought a new Ryzen 7 5700x from amazon, installed it and it's running at 80+ degrees idle from the very beginning. Lowest it's been is 77 degrees. (CPU usage is around 1% by the way). I have applied thermal paste properly, all fans are running properly. I have tried removing thermal paste and applying again, same issue. The heatsink is making contact with the cpu so that doesn't seem to be it either. Tried resetting BIOS too, no change. What could be causing this?

the cooler I'm using is Thermalright Assassin king 120

So I bought a new Ryzen 7 5700x from amazon, installed it and it's running at 80+ degrees idle from the very beginning. Lowest it's been is 77 degrees. (CPU usage is around 1% by the way). I have applied thermal paste properly, all fans are running properly. I have tried removing thermal paste and applying again, same issue. The heatsink is making contact with the cpu so that doesn't seem to be it either. Tried resetting BIOS too, no change. What could be causing this?

the cooler I'm using is Thermalright Assassin king 120
could be incorrectly mounted, that cooler is capable of cooling your cpu without throttling during boost

matipeczkowski23

Honorable
Sep 1, 2018
could be incorrectly mounted, that cooler is capable of cooling your cpu without throttling during boost
Im 100% sure it's correctly mounted as I tried my old CPU (Ryzen 5 2600) mounting it the same way and it works perfectly (20 something degrees idle)
Just wondering, is it possible I just got a bad chip or am I just doing something wrong?

matipeczkowski23

Honorable
Sep 1, 2018
Yeah, definitely something not right there, I have the same cpu. What are the rest of your system specs? Did you update the BIOS before swapping cpu's? latest amd chipset drivers etc?
MOBO- ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0
GPU - RTX 3060
RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB + HyperX Fury 8GB (both 2400mhz DDR4)
FAN - Corsair iCUE SP120
PSU - Corsair TX550M
CPU COOLER - Thermalright Assassin King 120
and of course CPU Ryzen 7 5700X

I updated my BIOS before swapping and also have the drivers.

Hey there,

As advised, I'd go ahead and update bios if not already done. Make sure to clear CMOS afterward.

What thermal paste are you using, how did you apply it?
I used Arctic MX-2, later cleaned it and tried the Thermalright TF4, same story. I put a little ball in the middle, definitely enough.

I appreciate the help guys

I used Arctic MX-2, later cleaned it and tried the Thermalright TF4, same story. I put a little ball in the middle, definitely enough.
This method isn't actually optimal for Ryzen 5000 based CPUs unless it has really good coverage because there's 2 dies and they're offset from the center.

Refer to the following image for the die layout:

zxire2ByCosGjedEtijSxF.jpg

I don't think this is the exact problem you're having, but it might help.

matipeczkowski23

Honorable
Sep 1, 2018
This method isn't actually optimal for Ryzen 5000 based CPUs unless it has really good coverage because there's 2 dies and they're offset from the center.

Refer to the following image for the die layout:

zxire2ByCosGjedEtijSxF.jpg

I don't think this is the exact problem you're having, but it might help.
When I took off the heatsink though, the thermal paste seemed to be spread fairly well all around the processor.

Well that's me stumped...Apart from trying another cooler I dont know what else to suggest? Hope you get it sorted and hopefully someone can jump on to advise further. Just as an after thought, I run my 5700X all core -30 using ryzen master's curve optimizer which keeps my temps down.

Reactions: matipeczkowski23

matipeczkowski23

Honorable
Sep 1, 2018
Well that's me stumped...Apart from trying another cooler I dont know what else to suggest? Hope you get it sorted and hopefully someone can jump on to advise further. Just as an after thought, I run my 5700X all core -30 using ryzen master's curve optimizer which keeps my temps down.
I also tried the wraith cooler that came with my r5 2600, same thing. thanks for the help anyways :)

TRENDING THREADS