[SOLVED] Brand New Ryzen Build - Back Panel and USB/Audio Ports on Top of case not working

Jun 11, 2020
I recently helped a buddy of mine pick out parts and build a Ryzen gaming PC. We assembled all of the parts and brought power to the power supply, and all fans and lights came on exactly as we expected. Later we came to find out that none of his peripherals could connect to the computer via the back plate USB and HDMI ports, nor using the top USB ports. The PC specs are all BRAND NEW and as follows:

• Ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler (cooler operational upon power on)
  • Gigabyte b450m ds3h
  • Team T-Force RGB (3200 MHz, 2x8 kit in 2nd and 4th DIMM slots, RGB fully operational)
  • Silicon Power A60 (256 GB M.2 SSD) w/ a 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD
  • Corsair CX450M Semi-Modular PSU
  • CoolerMaster NR400
  • 5 upHere RGB case fans
  • MSI RX580 8GB

We have been trouble shooting for several hours with no luck. We believe we have all cables plugged in properly. We are unsure if a BIOS update is needed for the motherboard, and hope that none of the components are faulty. What suggestions could be made about remedying this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I figured that might be the case. How do we go about updating the BIOS? Many forums/videos suggest different processes for doing this, including needing the computer to boot and post, or needing an older gen Ryzen CPU. Any advice?
Unless your motherboard has a feature of being able to update the BIOS without a CPU, you'll have to find an older gen CPU(first or second gen), install that on the motherboard, update the BIOS, then install the 3600. If you cannot borrow from someone, and there's no nearby hardware store which can do it for you, then your best option is to get a loaner CPU from AMD, they'll send you a cheap older gen CPU which you use for upgrading the BIOS, then send it back to AMD, all free of cost. Here's the link...
I recently helped a buddy of mine pick out parts and build a Ryzen gaming PC. We assembled all of the parts and brought power to the power supply, and all fans and lights came on exactly as we expected. Later we came to find out that none of his peripherals could connect to the computer via the back plate USB and HDMI ports, nor using the top USB ports. The PC specs are all BRAND NEW and as follows:

• Ryzen 5 3600 w/ stock cooler (cooler operational upon power on)
  • Gigabyte b450m ds3h
  • Team T-Force RGB (3200 MHz, 2x8 kit in 2nd and 4th DIMM slots, RGB fully operational)
  • Silicon Power A60 (256 GB M.2 SSD) w/ a 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD
  • Corsair CX450M Semi-Modular PSU
  • CoolerMaster NR400
  • 5 upHere RGB case fans
  • MSI RX580 8GB
We have been trouble shooting for several hours with no luck. We believe we have all cables plugged in properly. We are unsure if a BIOS update is needed for the motherboard, and hope that none of the components are faulty. What suggestions could be made about remedying this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you install the IO shield? And are you getting a display on the monitor?

I figured that might be the case. How do we go about updating the BIOS? Many forums/videos suggest different processes for doing this, including needing the computer to boot and post, or needing an older gen Ryzen CPU. Any advice?
Unless your motherboard has a feature of being able to update the BIOS without a CPU, you'll have to find an older gen CPU(first or second gen), install that on the motherboard, update the BIOS, then install the 3600. If you cannot borrow from someone, and there's no nearby hardware store which can do it for you, then your best option is to get a loaner CPU from AMD, they'll send you a cheap older gen CPU which you use for upgrading the BIOS, then send it back to AMD, all free of cost. Here's the link for this last option: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Solution
Jun 11, 2020
Unless your motherboard has a feature of being able to update the BIOS without a CPU, you'll have to find an older gen CPU(first or second gen), install that on the motherboard, update the BIOS, then install the 3600. If you cannot borrow from someone, and there's no nearby hardware store which can do it for you, then your best option is to get a loaner CPU from AMD, they'll send you a cheap older gen CPU which you use for upgrading the BIOS, then send it back to AMD, all free of cost. Here's the link for this last option: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit
Thank you, this has been very helpful :)