Question Brand New Ryzen PC Build Struggling in Premiere Pro

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Well, after two weeks of editing on my new PC build, and actually being kind of disappointed with the Performance I'm getting out of it, I finally decided to write to you guys in order to know if there is something wrong or the performance of my PC is just fine.
Weeks ago I had a Mac Mini late 2014 (8GB of RAM and 2.6Ghz Intel I5) on which I could edit 1080p sequences without big issues, but I decided to sell it and build a 4k video editing PC. However, here I am with my brand new PC struggling to color grade a 1080p sequence, and also not giving me the results I was looking for when editing 4k sequences.
I'm facing two several issues:
1- When color grading a 1080p sequence it appears the following error message and then the software crashes "A low level exception occured in Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter)". Also the pointer is kind of "laggy" while tweaking the effects settings.
2- When rendering 4k sequences while monitoring CPU and GPU usage from the task manager, both starts the encoding process with almost 100% of use and really fast rendering times (which I believe it´s the expected), however after a minute or two the CPU usage drops to around 50% while GPU usage comes to almost 0% (varying from 2% to 9%) and rendering times become super slow, like 20 min to render a 2min sequence (actually I didn´t wait to finish, but it was for sure slower than my weak Mac Mini 2014)

I know Premiere Pro only use GPU for certain tasks, but in both cases I have warp stabilizer(this one just in the 4k sequence), Lumetri Color and also Colorista applied on Adjustment Layers, which I believe are effects that the GPU should be handling. I'm also monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures, which are just fine. NVIDIA driver is also up to date and the GPU Power Management is set to "High Performance" while using Premiere Pro. CUDA is enabled.

In conclusion, I thought that I would be able to edit 4k video sequences without big issues with this build and face no problems at all when editing 1080p sequences. Does anyones can help me? Or am I'm getting just the expected performance out of it?

Sorry for the big text, I've tried to explain as detailed as possible.

Motherboard: MSI Bazooka B450M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Cooling System: PCYes Sangue Frio Water Cooler 120mm
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Storage:
250GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus (Windows 10 + Apps)
500GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO (Original Media + Premiere Pro Project + Proxies)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 N1, 650W

IMAGES: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rVE06K4z78xP0HGhhOrbpvlz-YaXU4xV?usp=sharing

marcanthonya

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
GPU usage comes to almost 0% (varying from 2% to 9%)
Do you have GPU acceleration on ? there should be an option to combine CPU and GPU in the rendering. Check it out if thats one of the case the gpu will help alot in rendering times

Also check your ram speed mine is rated at 3000 mhz but came clocked at 2133(I also have the B450m bazooka) may be the reason why your cpu goes to 50% because the memory cant feed the processor fast enough (Ryzen Cpu's luv fast memory) Hope this might have helped

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Do you have GPU acceleration on ? there should be an option to combine CPU and GPU in the rendering. Check it out if thats one of the case the gpu will help alot in rendering times

Also check your ram speed mine is rated at 3000 mhz but came clocked at 2133(I also have the B450m bazooka) may be the reason why your cpu goes to 50% because the memory cant feed the processor fast enough (Ryzen Cpu's luv fast memory) Hope this might have helped
GPU aceleration is enabled. RAM is running at maximum speed (3200Mhz), a-XMP is enabled. :/

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Important to notice that while creating proxies, I don't have any issues at all. Both CPU and GPU work at 90% of usage and rendering times are hell fast! Apparently, it something that just happens when exporting an edited sequence.

Last edited: