[SOLVED] Brand new Samsung 850Evo showing only 30Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2021
I opened a sealed brand new Samsung 850EVO SSD drive to use in my laptop but it only shows 30Gb. I looked at it externally on another PC and even in Disk management the capicity is shown as Gb29.50. How can I format it to nearly 500Gb ?

Solution
Could it be fake?
it could be a recertified or refurbished from Samsung product. a lot of times they will be repackaged in their original sealed packaging.
though they would usually be sold at a significant discount.

if you bought it from a private or 3rd party seller, they may have acquired a bundle of them and are selling them as new.

i would contact Samsung and have them investigate UPC, ASIN, & serial numbers from the packaging and\or stickers on the drive.
Apr 1, 2021
It gives the same answer in any PC you care to use. I cannot offer a picture now but in disk management it simply shows one unformated patition totalling 29.5Gb. That's all. If it had showed any unallocated space I would not have posted this question. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2021
I have looked into Samsung Magician. What a fantastic tool. I am going to try that software on my new SSD drive but not today, on Saturday, as I have left my workshop for home and tomorrow is a public holiday here in England. Will keep you guys posted but thank you in the meantime.

Reactions: olavrb

olavrb

Commendable
Mar 28, 2021
I have used Samsung Magician. It reports that S/N unknown. I am now very confused. Could it be fake?
Connected through USB (enclosure, adapter) or an actual internal SATA port? If the latter it might be fake or faulty.

Screenshots from Samsung Magician, Windows disk management, and CrystalDiskInfo, while plugged into an internal SATA port, would be helpful.

Could it be fake?
it could be a recertified or refurbished from Samsung product. a lot of times they will be repackaged in their original sealed packaging.
though they would usually be sold at a significant discount.

if you bought it from a private or 3rd party seller, they may have acquired a bundle of them and are selling them as new.

i would contact Samsung and have them investigate UPC, ASIN, & serial numbers from the packaging and\or stickers on the drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.