[SOLVED] Brand new samsung ssd (860 QVO) writing extremely slow (< 1 MB/S)

Jul 11, 2020
I just swapped out a HDD for a 2TB SSD, on a relatively new gaming PC (i buy Power), and am trying to copy old photos/videos from a Western digital external backup drive to this new drive.
The write speeds are unacceptably slow - mostly 50 KB/S - occasionally going up to 2 or 3 MB/s. I checked the older posts, and most of the recommended explanations or solutions are not applicable here. (drive may be old, drive may be full etc.). (For context, the copy has been running for the past 3 hours, I have just about copied 25 GB.

View: https://i.imgur.com/FT8Jxmv.png

Any ideas why this is happening?

TIA

Solution
"copy old photos/videos from a Western digital external backup drive to this new drive. "

Speed is dependent on the slowest device in the chain.
Your SSD can only accept data as fast as the WD External and the USB interface can serve it up.

USAFRet

Titan
"copy old photos/videos from a Western digital external backup drive to this new drive. "

Your SSD can only accept data as fast as the WD External and the USB interface can serve it up.

Solution
Jul 11, 2020

Thanks for responding. Understood. however, 40KB/s is much slower than USB speeds 10 years ago. the external drive, although a HDD, is relatively new.
So here's what's strange - the first 15 or so GBs get copied over very quickly (~30 Mb/s) - after that, the copy begins to slows down interminably, to about 40-50 KB/s.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for responding. Understood. however, 40KB/s is much slower than USB speeds 10 years ago. the external drive, although a HDD, is relatively new.
So here's what's strange - the first 15 or so GBs get copied over very quickly (~30 Mb/s) - after that, the copy begins to slows down interminably, to about 40-50 KB/s.
Yes, this is QUITE common with drives like the QVO.
Once the small cache fills up, it drops down to mediocre speed.
That particular drive is not good for long sustained copy/paste actions.